Non cont parent added visa

Malcolm

Hi Fred, we are still in the UK, but still scoping things out for when we go next year thinking also about how my mum can come out. This is what I think our best route would be... Happy for anyone to tell me if I've missed something.

When we move, my mum can visit on a tourist visa back and to say every winter with us etc. then when I have completed two full tax years working, she can apply for the contributory parent visa. She will apply from the UK and continue to visit until it is granted and then sell her flat and move. I have one brother so she is ok on the balance of children numbers as I will be in Aus and he will be in UK.

However, the migration agent we discussed with did say there was another option, or loop hole, doesn't recommend it, but you could do it.

If when mum comes to visit as a tourist, she then applied for the visa "onshore" she could then get a bridging visa for the period of time waiting for it to be granted. I know someone on here has recently done it. Obviously there are risks if immigration get suspicious etc when you land as a tourist planning on staying so I guess you have to pack carefully etc!!!

the only thing I haven't figured out with this is whether I still have to have completed two full tax years before she can still apply. I assume that is the case, it would just mean if the processing times are two ish years she doesn't have to fly between the two countries. Although someone recently said it was down to about 9 months (I think).

We we are factoring in it costing circa £40k for her and a $10k bond to apply.

Thats is all I can tell you at the minute, someone else may correct me or add more info.

Good luck

Laura

However, the migration agent we discussed with did say there was another option, or loop hole, doesn't recommend it, but you could do it.

If when mum comes to visit as a tourist, she then applied for the visa "onshore" she could then get a bridging visa for the period of time waiting for it to be granted. I know someone on here has recently done it. Obviously there are risks if immigration get suspicious etc when you land as a tourist planning on staying so I guess you have to pack carefully etc!!!

the only thing I haven't figured out with this is whether I still have to have completed two full tax years before she can still apply. I assume that is the case, it would just mean if the processing times are two ish years she doesn't have to fly between the two countries. Although someone recently said it was down to about 9 months (I think).

We we are factoring in it costing circa £40k for her and a $10k bond to apply.

Make sure you ask the migration agent about the snags of applying onshore. If I remember rightly, she won't be able to get medical treatment under Medicare, or subsidised prescriptions, while she's on the bridging visa. For an older person, that could be a big problem. She can get private health insurance - but private health insurance in Australia doesn't cover everything, there's always an excess of about a quarter to a third of the cost. To give you an example, I had to have a spinal fusion op recently: it cost $35,000 and my health insurance only covered $25,000.

Archived