Living in North East Victoria

Powells

Hello all I have been away from this forum for a few years and thought that I would drop in and see how things are travelling. We moved to Wangaratta 10 years ago and are now happily settled on 8 acres in Ned Kelly country. We came over on a 457 visa and have since got PR then citizenship and are currently sponsoring my parents who live in a 2 bed unit on our property. It has been a wild ride at times and there have been some very tough moments in these past 10 years but we are all very settled with kids now either at High School or out making their way at Uni.

Happy to give advice about some of the prettier Victorian areas to live and about some of the things to watch out for along the way.

Good luck to all of those starting along this road.

Nicky

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nicky

Glad to read your story as I have only just recently moved over to Vic and the home sickness has started to kick in!

I am currently searching for rental properties over the north/east site and am considering Macleod as a potential (going to scout it out either today or tomorrow). Appreciate it's not as far out as you are but if you can recommend any areas that would be great. We are two twenty something professionals, husband works in fitzroy and i am after something in the cbd but we don't want to live too close to the city as we are in Abbotsford currently and it's not offering the garden and value for money we were dreaming of when we first decided to move over! Happy to commute via train/car up to 40 minutes if needs be

Any suggestions would be fab!

Thanks

Hannah

Hi Nicky

Glad to read your story as I have only just recently moved over to Vic and the home sickness has started to kick in!

I am currently searching for rental properties over the north/east site and am considering Macleod as a potential (going to scout it out either today or tomorrow). Appreciate it's not as far out as you are but if you can recommend any areas that would be great. We are two twenty something professionals, husband works in fitzroy and i am after something in the cbd but we don't want to live too close to the city as we are in Abbotsford currently and it's not offering the garden and value for money we were dreaming of when we first decided to move over! Happy to commute via train/car up to 40 minutes if needs be

Any suggestions would be fab!

Thanks

Hannah

We're another train station along the line from Macleod in Watsonia. We love it here, been here 5 years; close to the local amenities, and the suburbs either side in Bundoora and Greensborough have larger shopping centres. 40 mins by train to the city, 40 mins by car in the other direction gets you out into the hills near Kinglake.

Yes we are about 2-3 hours away from Melbourne along the Hume and I'm not really up to date on Melbourne suburbs sorry. There are trains but they are pretty useless and tend to be replaced by a bus more often than not (this has been the case for a number of years). We are in a lovely country area with Wangaratta, Wodonga and possibly Shepparton our nearest towns. They are called cities but in UK terms they are more like towns. Our eldest daughter has just moved to canberra for Uni and loves it but we have no intention of moving any time soon.

This area is great for those who prefer a slower pace of life and love the beautiful countryside, great food and wine and cycling/ skiing. Our children have had the best time growing up in the countryside and we regularly head down to Melbourne or over to Canberra for culture or shopping.

Nicky

Yes we are about 2-3 hours away from Melbourne along the Hume and I'm not really up to date on Melbourne suburbs sorry. There are trains but they are pretty useless and tend to be replaced by a bus more often than not (this has been the case for a number of years). We are in a lovely country area with Wangaratta, Wodonga and possibly Shepparton our nearest towns. They are called cities but in UK terms they are more like towns. Our eldest daughter has just moved to canberra for Uni and loves it but we have no intention of moving any time soon.

This area is great for those who prefer a slower pace of life and love the beautiful countryside, great food and wine and cycling/ skiing. Our children have had the best time growing up in the countryside and we regularly head down to Melbourne or over to Canberra for culture or shopping.

Nicky

Would not recommend Shepparton to anyone. We had to work there for 3 years, but chose an hour drive each way to Echuca rather than live in Shepparton. It is "very" multicultural, looks old and run down and is not exactly the safest place after dark.

Would not recommend Shepparton to anyone. We had to work there for 3 years, but chose an hour drive each way to Echuca rather than live in Shepparton. It is "very" multicultural, looks old and run down and is not exactly the safest place after dark.

I probably wouldn't choose to live there either but it is more of a city than where we are. There are some issues with the centre after dark but to be honest you get that most places and I could say the same about Wodonga after working there for a while. Shepparton has some nice areas and housing is very affordable but my choice would always be to love out of town and commute in if I was working there. I love where we are and find the scenery around Shepparton a bit flat and dull compared to our hills.

Nicky

Archived