Skills assessment test - interview

norge

Hi Guys

Cay you tell me if all the trades from SOL list require a skills practical test -interview for permanent visa application ?

cheers

Norg

They all have different requirements. Some a lot more involved than others.

For example my skills assessment required that I travel to Australia for a separate examination and a medical.

Others are straightforward filing of documents, some require interviews or exams, some require practical examinations or sending videos of a person conducting work.

Really is down to what your trade is and the relevant assessing authority for that skilled occupation.

Mine, for example, compare to the above Captains, is very simple!

As a Roof Plumber I just had to gather evidence for the past 3 years of the nominated occupation I wanted assessing. This consisted of;

Bank statements

SA302's from HMRC

Tax Returns

Taxation books/summaries

Employer references

Syllabuses for my qualifications

Copies of my certificates and work cards

Description of what I actually do

Once you know which authority is assessing you, there will be a set guideline that tells you exactly what evidence they want you to provide and if there will be any exams/interviews.

Thankfully, mine doesn't have any exams/interviews. I'm useless at them!

Best of luck

I'm an electrician and I had to do a 2 part assessment. Firstly you have to prove your work experince with references, invoices pay slips etc. Once they are happy with the proof of work experience you will have passed the first part and then asked to attend an all day examination which includes a 2 hour theory and then 2 practical assessments. This also acts as part of your pathway to getting your qualifications transfered, once you pass the skills assessment you can apply for your provisional electrical license once in Australia and then you have to complete further Australian context training in Australia before you can get your full electrical license. This can take up to a year but varies depending on what work you get when in Australia. I've managed to find a company who will complete the college part of the course as a 3 week block and then you just have to complete your site diary.

@Skyba - nice seeing you got your IELTS results all above 8 on your first attempt!

Cheers, it's been a long process for me, we've been planning the move for about 6 years I refrained to be able to do the move. I had an IELTS practice book about 4 years ago but only looked at it once before the few weeks prior to the exam. I think it's all about the preparation rather than the English ability for native speakers. We all know various words for the same thing and Using those and concentrating on various ways of using a comma got me through I think, the rest was fairly straight forward.

I was obviously well chuffed when I got the result but I Didn't realise people struggled with it as much as some do until I told the guy at the downunder Centre I got it first time lol.

Archived