Customs allowance, alcohol in suitcase

immy21

Last time I went to Australia I took two bottles of wine in the suitcase, however that was 2005 and I was wondering if anyone knows whether I will be able to do the same thing this time, when we fly out next week:unsure:

Guest Jaynie

Hi,

Funny thing was that I had the same question yesterday and emailed customs in Sydney, they replied back to me their email is information@customs.gov.au if you want to send them an email.

I asked about the 100ml rule taking stuff on the plane, they told me to purchase the alcohol and put it in the suitcase after taking off the duty frre tag and handing it in to the airline on departure.

Can you tell me if Manchester airport (I know you live in Kent so it's a strange question) have duty free shops before you go through passport control on arrival? We do over here and this might help me get the Brandy I want without having to pack it in the case.

The following duty-free concessions are available to travellers provided that they do not exceed the specified amounts.

Group 1 - general

A$900 worth of goods (A$450 for people under 18) including gifts (given to you or intended for others), souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, perfume concentrates, jewellery, watches and sporting equipment. Alcohol and tobacco products cannot be included in this concession.

These goods can be:

• obtained overseas
  • purchased in Australia duty or tax free before departure
  • purchased from an inwards duty free shop on arrival.

Group 2 - alcohol

2.25 litres of alcohol for each passenger aged 18 years or over.

Thanks for that link this is what I found so it looks like two bottles of wine in my suitcase will be fine

Guest Jaynie

thanks Emmylou, but do you know if when you have touched down at Manchester and then before you come through passport control if you can buy duty free then? You can in Sydney and other Aussie Internationals, but I have never seen the same thing at the UK ones.

Guest OldiesRUs

I would have thought that you could buy when you get off the plane in Manchester as you can at Heathrow - although limited choice.

Jean:wubclub:

Guest Jaynie

thanks Jean, that gives me something to think about, if the worst comes to the worst, I'll buy at bottle at Asda!! LOL

Manchester has a few duty free bits depending which terminal you arrive in. Terminal one has a small duty free shop, but limited choice. Last time we travelled through terminal two there wasn't any duty free shops on return, but they are upgrading the airport. You may well find it easier to nip to asda! Lol

Manchester has a few duty free bits depending which terminal you arrive in. Terminal one has a small duty free shop, but limited choice. Last time we travelled through terminal two there wasn't any duty free shops on return, but they are upgrading the airport. You may well find it easier to nip to asda! Lol

Archived