Driving license change

Southchick

Hi everyone,

not it sure I in the right section but hoping someone would be able to tell me how you change your drivers licence from uk to Aussie and if it's possible before you land (we have a temp address there). Only wondering as I was advised by service SA to get drivers licence converted so we can rego our expired car as soon as we land and the company has lost previous document which throws abit of a spanner in the works... Hope that makes sense!

We are in QLD and just went to Department of Transport upon arrival. Took 10 mins. Needed to see variety of docs and took photo while we were there. They give you letter for confirmation that you have licence and then post the card to you. I doubt you could do from abroad.

It is fairly easy to do if you have a UK driving license, however from memory you need to apply within 3 months from arriving in Oz (on a permanent visa). I'm not sure what happens if you don't apply in the 3 month window, but the risk is you have to take a driving test.

There are plenty of places to get your DL sorted once you arrive in SA (Adelaide?). Easy to find online if you have a quick peek at google.

Took me about 15 minutes to get it done.