Ship or sell???!!!!

Aprilfool

Hi

I am moving back to QLD at the start of 2017 after what will be 13 years back in England. My current feelings are to sell all our stuff and only get a small container for personal things like photos, memory boxes etc...

My reasons for this are that most of our furniture by then will be 5-6 years old so I'm sure I will be more than ready for a change. Kids games systems etc... Won't work and again will probably need updating etc...

I just think the amount it would cost to ship I could use to buy new along with the money I get selling my stuff over here.

I'm interested in what other people think of this?

Thanks x

Comes up twice a week. I think consensus is that it is more cost effective to ship, as you have to think of the replacement value if your current possessions rather than the current value. But of course there are exceptions, such as if your stuff is old and needs replacing anyway. That could be you, although not sure people normakly replace all their furniture every five years do they? Or maybe it is just me that doesn't!

Thanks x

Well some of my stuff I would be gradually replacing but I am not as I know we are moving. I may price up taking a small container and adding extra stuff in but I know my style in oz will be different to here and I probably wont want it when I get there. I was just interested to know others thoughts on this.

I wont be taking many of the kids clothes either as I can remember being a 13 year old pommie kid with odd clothes nobody else was wearing!! By doing that I will free up quite a bit of suitcase space I hope!

The cost of shipping a full 20 foot container is not much more than shipping 1/4 or 1/2 a container. The actual cost is not in the shipping, it is in the work that is done at both ends.

So if you are going to ship a few things, might not be much more expensive to shop everything.

BB

The cost of shipping a full 20 foot container is not much more than shipping 1/4 or 1/2 a container. The actual cost is not in the shipping, it is in the work that is done at both ends.

So if you are going to ship a few things, might not be much more expensive to shop everything.

BB

thanks BB x it's worth looking at then. Am I right in thinking TV's etc don't work? That was the case in the 90's when we originally moved there. I know things have moved on. Also fabrics that things were made out of like mattress' and sofas were not as a good in hot climates, again times change.

I'd bring kids clothes. I find the fashion is the same pretty much these days and think kids clothes here are expensive (even for the cheap tat) and more so for supposed good quality. My son has heaps of UK clothing like Next and isn't at all out of place. Loads of people order online from UK companies. Much has changed in terms of fashion and how quick it fires round the globe.

Lots of computer games stuff will work. Same with TV's etc. Older style won't but newer ones will. We have a multi region DVD player so can use anywhere.

The cost of replacing all your household items would be a very expensive way to do things IMHO. If you don't want to bring furniture fair enough but if you've decent kitchenware, bedding, clothing and so on, I'd ship it.

I brought a heap of bedding and curtains back from a visit to the UK as cost here was silly for similar. Measured the windows, ordered online, I've had it all delivered to my parents so it was waiting for me. I also stocked up on kids shorts and tee shirts in the summer sales while there. Even non sale stuff was worth it in terms of quality. Shoes for son for school. Same thing. While there I found £42 pairs on sale online somewhere for £20 so bought them. Same ones here are almost $100 and not ever on sale so a bargain for me.

thanks BB x it's worth looking at then. Am I right in thinking TV's etc don't work? That was the case in the 90's when we originally moved there. I know things have moved on. Also fabrics that things were made out of like mattress' and sofas were not as a good in hot climates, again times change.

things have definitely changed. Newer TV's work fine, along with many other electrical items :) We've shipped our mattresses and they have been fine. Lots of people ship that stuff without issue.m

Thanks for the info x I guess things have changed a lot! Fairly true with fashion too it seems to be fairly similar. I just worry as my teenagers are brand freaks! So here they live in Superdry and Ralph Lauren etc... Never quite sure if Aussie teens wear that stuff! My friends kids all seem to dress more in surf brand stuff. My daughter will be nearly 10 I will probably bring most of her stuff. Good point on the bedding etc... My aunt sent me pillow talk bedding as a wedding present and it was beautiful but not as good quality as the ones I have here. Think I will reasses in 12 months time as a lot of stuff I have not updated as soon as I would of as I know we are moving. For example my daughter has beautiful bedroom furniture but it is baby pink and has been ok at age 4-8 but by the time we leave she will need something more grown up.

my teen boys have a ps4? Should that work?

Archived