Broadband in Melbourne?

ceeceelia

Hi, first time here for me:-) We are planning to move over in the next 12-18 months, we already have a property but we only visit for a month at a time and it seems wasteful to have a permanent broadband contract so I have a pay as you go dongle with Optus and it works very well. I'd really like a better service though, with unlimited downloads so that I can catch up on some TV and radio. Does anyone know if there is a provider that would allow me to cancel for a couple of months and then activate again as and when I am in the country?

Yeah, loads of providers let you do that, depending on the type of connection you buy.

If you're in an NBN area, that's first choice. TPG / dodo were about the only one with unlimited downloads though - and they are the two bargain basement providers (but are mostly fine). iinet is better, and some of their plans have very high limts.

No NBN, then either ADSL or cable. Adsl needs a phobe line to be active so you'll probably have to keep paying at least that bit of it and just switch the dsl on and off.

Cable - you'll likely be contracted at least for the first period.

Practically speaking, a cheap naked adsl service (a phone line is there, but not usable for calls) can be had for a little over $50 a month - so my choice would be get one of those on permanent basis and just suck it up.

Thanks for the advice, I've checked the website and NBN hasn't reached us yet:-( There was a landline in when we bought the property so I guess I could get that re-connected without any trouble and look at getting a naked adsl service, or even have the phone on too if they have a good deal on calls. Thanks again.