They want to charge us extra for delivering

Guest Guest109139

Guest Guest109139

Our shipping from Oz is due to arrive next week. We have just received an email from 'them' (I cannot name the company as per rules), to say that due to the narrow roads in the village where we have moved to, they cannot deliver a 20 ft container, therefore they will have to charge us an extra £200.

I read their terms and conditions, but there is nothing specific about "narrow" roads and charging extra for having to deliver into an area with narrow roads.

My questions is it worth challenging them? Anybody had similar experience?

Do you think it is true? i.e. that a container cannot get along the roads? We live in a country area but you can still get container along the road, wouldn't be able to get one going the other way as well, but it is manageable.

What is the extra cost for? Trouble is, they have your stuff and you are not in a strong bargaining position,

It is normal for a removal company to charge more if the access at the property means they have to transfer the goods to smaller vans - $200 is really not that much for the extra work involved.

When you book your removalists they usually ask if there is any kind of restricted access to the house they will be delivering to. This is so they can work out if they will be able to deliver in the container/large lorry or if they will need to redistribute to smaller vehicles for access. If you didn't tell them, or didn't know, about the narrow lanes when arranging the removal then I would expect them to charge more. If you did tell them about the narrow lane when booking then I would expect it to be part of the price quoted. As well as reading the terms and conditions have you read the quote they provided you with? This probably states delivery of a 20 foot container and if they can't do this then there will be an additional charge.

Archived