Medicare renewal on reciprocal health care agreement

peter5678

I have Medicare cover under a RHCA, as a UK permanent resident. My Medicare card indicates that its validity ends on 7/10/15. The government webpage on card expiry and renewal http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/medicare-card/expired-medicare-cards seems self-contradictory. Does anyone know if I should expect a new card to be issued and sent by mail to my Australian address automatically, or whether I have to take some action? The webpage seems to say that action involves attending a Medicare office in person, but I know that the online functionality at my.gov.au is better than it used to be.

I'm no expert, but I think for a reciprocal Medicare card, you would have to visit a Medicare office with your proof of entitlement (visa documentation) and your other ID documents for proving address.

If you are on a 457, the end date of your Medicare card roughly replicates the end of your visa (it did for me). As far as Medicare are concerned, after that date you are no longer part of the system. If you need a new Medicare card you'd need to start the whole process over again.