self employed queries

MelanieJS

I am currently a scheduler for a broadcast company in UK. I will be moving to Brisbane in December and am hoping to still work for my current employer at home in Oz. However, I'm not sure how to do this.

I'm not sure if I can just carry on with my current employment contract as I will need to pay Australian tax.

I think one way is to become a limited company or a sole trader and then my company employs me to carry out my work.

Can the UK company employ my services on a long term contract - say 1-2 years?

If it is a long term contract, will they then pay holiday and sick pay?

Can anyone offer any advice etc?

Thanks

You can carry on with your current employment so long as your employer is happy to administer Australian tax "pay as you go" and operate superannuation for you etc. I daresay they won't want to do that though, but they could look to outsource it.

Otherwise yes you would need to set up your own company or become a sole trader, but your company wouldn't employ you then, they would contract you. On that basis, no they obviously do not have to provide holiday pay etc. as that is for employees.

Thanks Bungo.

Can I ask, if my company were willing to administer Australian pay as you go, how would they set that up? Would it be directly with the Australian Tax Office or would it be via UK Tax Office?

It is nothing to do with the UK tax office, why would it be. I would suggest your company needs to engage an Australian tax professional on the practicalities, it is not something the average person will have come across.

Hi Melanie, I'm going through the same thing... my UK employer is going to keep me on so I work remotely over in Oz... I think I am going to set up my own Limited company/sole trader and then they will pay me a retainer each month to work for them. What I am then not sure about is how to set this up in Oz and how much tax I would pay, is there anything else that would be deducted from this?

Hi LindsG, it is a bit of a nightmare.

If you are a sole trader/limited co, then I'm assuming you won't receive holiday/sick pay/pension contributions from your current company?

I'm hoping to go the Australian 'pay as you go' as I should still receive the above. I am going to call the Australian Tax Office on Monday for more information.

Have a look at the following link regarding Australian pay as you go: http://www.Australia.angloinfo.com/money/income-tax/pay-as-you-go.com

Regards

Archived