Received a Job offer moving to Melbourne early September.

Guest Global

Guest Global

Hi there,

Woke up to a call this morning advising me that a job I was applying for is mine !!

The plan is that i move out first and my family will follow in January, just wanted to hear from people that have been through the same experience and wonder what advice they can offer.

1) How did you source accommodation when you first arrive, are there any reasonably priced hotel that you can use while arranging rented accomodation.

2) Did anyone have problems with renting how do they credit search you, it is worth doing some stuff before you leave ?

3) How did you go about getting your cloths out the Oz did you pay excess baggage on the plane or ship another way ?

To your questions:

1) Yes book a hotel, find one that suits your budget, same as you would if you were going on holiday.

2) Most people find somewhere to live within two or three weeks, never heard of anyone having serious problems. They don't do credit checks for rentals to my knowledge. They will want proof of income or savings.

3) Brought some clothes and put the rest in the container.

As as an aside, I know it is not what you asked, but why are you going separately? One thing I have learned is that migration is a journey best made together if you can. It is stressful on both the one left behind and the one that goes on ahead. my top tip is to do all you can to travel over together as a family.

Guest Global

Thanks for the information.

The reason for the travelling separately is to firstly allow me to settle into the job and hit the floor running, I will be doing some travelling to New Zealand in the first few weeks so did not want to leave them to find their way around.

Also my wife works for a Bank in the UK and we will be trying to negotiate with them a move to one of their offices within Australia if possible also with the schools starting in January in Australia we felt that this would be good to move during the start of a new school year.