Student Visa Question

Warren

Hi Guys

I have decided to undertake a 1 year course (Advanced Diploma in Business) which would start 24th August 2015. Then I will be applying for a Graduate Diploma in Secondary Teaching at university in semester 1 2017. This would then allow me to apply for a graduate visa for 18 months in teaching. However, I'm a little concerned regarding the Visa granted for the Advanced Diploma, which would end around October (2 months after the course ends) and the University course wouldn't start until semester 1 (approx early February). Do you think that if I apply for the Uni course early and the second student visa I would be given a bridging visa until the Uni course starts?

Thanks

Hi Guys

I have decided to undertake a 1 year course (Advanced Diploma in Business) which would start 24th August 2015. Then I will be applying for a Graduate Diploma in Secondary Teaching at university in semester 1 2017. This would then allow me to apply for a graduate visa for 18 months in teaching.

Are you sure of this? Have you researched how these two courses would qualify you to apply for a subclass 485 Graduate Skilled Visa?

Neither of these qualifications alone would appear to meet the requirements under the Post Study Work stream.

However, I'm a little concerned regarding the Visa granted for the Advanced Diploma, which would end around October (2 months after the course ends) and the University course wouldn't start until semester 1 (approx early February). Do you think that if I apply for the Uni course early and the second student visa I would be given a bridging visa until the Uni course starts?

Thanks

You cannot apply for a subsequent student visa online more than 124 days (four months) before your course starts.

Hi Raul, I was under the impression that I would be fulfilling the Australian Study Requirement as I would be completing an Advanced Diploma and then a subsequent year completing a Graduate Diploma in Secondary Teaching in Business Education. I thought that this would qualify for a 485 Graduate Skilled Visa as the occupation of Secondary Teacher is included on the SOL?

To meet the Australian study requirement, you must have completed one or more Degree, Diploma or Trade qualifications awarded by an Australian educational institution as a result of a course or courses -

• that are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
  • that involved a total of at least 2 academic years study (minimum 92 weeks) in Australia that was completed in no less than 16 calendar months and
  • for which all study undertaken was in English.
  • that were closely related to your nominated occupation and
  • undertaken on a visa that allowed you to study in Australia

Hi Raul, I was under the impression that I would be fulfilling the Australian Study Requirement as I would be completing an Advanced Diploma and then a subsequent year completing a Graduate Diploma in Secondary Teaching in Business Education. I thought that this would qualify for a 485 Graduate Skilled Visa as the occupation of Secondary Teacher is included on the SOL?

To meet the Australian study requirement, you must have completed one or more Degree, Diploma or Trade qualifications awarded by an Australian educational institution as a result of a course or courses -

• that are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)

• that involved a total of at least 2 academic years study (minimum 92 weeks) in Australia that was completed in no less than 16 calendar months and

• for which all study undertaken was in English.

• that were closely related to your nominated occupation and

• undertaken on a visa that allowed you to study in Australia

Sorry just to add. I was talking about the Graduate Work Stream lasting 18 months rather than the Post Study Work Stream.

If applying under the Graduate Work Stream, you will also need a skills assessment in your nominated occupation.

Meeting the Australian study requirement is only one of many criteria which must be met.

Archived