Accountant - Chances of invite for NSW State sponsorship?

terry3218

The occupational ceiling for accountants has been halved this year. So I guess my chances for invite for that are significantly lower

If you can increase your points somehow (maybe getting a better score in IELTS or PTE perhaps) then you'd have just as good a chance as anybody else. The occupation ceiling is pro rata so all of the places don't all disappear in one go and are spread out among the 12 invitation rounds.

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I can't get a better score in IELTS. So does the fact that 'The occupation ceiling is pro rata so all of the places don't all disappear in one go and are spread out among the 12 invitation rounds,' make any difference for a 60 pointer?

It can do Terry, if there are a lot of people with 65+ points then they will be invited first. Then there will likely be more applicants for the following months which could hold you further down the 'queue' and potentially never get an invite. More points means you getting further up the queue.

I really don't know about your chances with state sponsorship so maybe just give it a go if that's your only option.

Hopefully an accountant will come along and give you some more experienced info.

(I'll change your thread title to add the word 'Accountant', then hopefully it will grab the attention of someone in the know)

It can do Terry, if there are a lot of people with 65+ points then they will be invited first. Then there will likely be more applicants for the following months which could hold you further down the 'queue' and potentially never get an invite. More points means you getting further up the queue.

I really don't know about your chances with state sponsorship so maybe just give it a go if that's your only option.

Hopefully an accountant will come along and give you some more experienced info.

(I'll change your thread title to add the word 'Accountant', then hopefully it will grab the attention of someone in the know)

thanks a lot for your help. And another question, what if I also submit an EOI with 60 points for External Auditor since places for this occupation were still not fully filled at the end of the year(June).What do you think about that? But the only problem with that is I will have to sit academic IELTS, which will cost me a fortune here since I am from Pakistan and only earn about $80/month, and I will have to travel to a different city to take it.

thanks a lot for your help. And another question, what if I also submit an EOI with 60 points for External Auditor since places for this occupation were still not fully filled at the end of the year(June).What do you think about that? But the only problem with that is I will have to sit academic IELTS, which will cost me a fortune here since I am from Pakistan and only earn about $80/month, and I will have to travel to a different city to take it.

If you got a valid skills assessment for external auditor and put in an EOI based on that then I'd fully expect you'd get an invite within two invitation rounds.

Your English is very good and if you hadn't told me you were from Pakistan then I would have thought that you were a native English speaker. If doing the academic IELTS is what you need to do then that's the way it's got to be unfortunately.

The visa process is very expensive and you'll have to do a lot of saving for it. If expenses for IELTS are out of your range then I wouldn't recommend starting this process until you have a fairly large sum of money behind you first.

To put things into perspective, I have already spent over $22,000 to get to the stage I'm at now, although that does include a trip to australia to sit an exam for the skills assessment. That sum doesn't include the extra savings I have made to ensure we survive the first couple of months there.

Anybody that has been through this process will tell you that it costs significantly more than they thought it would be. Some (lucky) people have been sponsored by an employer and had flight and relocation packages offered to them, these offers and sponsorship are very rare and only a handful of people will get an offer like that and even then it's normally because they have been actively sought by an employer.

If you got a valid skills assessment for external auditor and put in an EOI based on that then I'd fully expect you'd get an invite within two invitation rounds.

Your English is very good and if you hadn't told me you were from Pakistan then I would have thought that you were a native English speaker. If doing the academic IELTS is what you need to do then that's the way it's got to be unfortunately.

The visa process is very expensive and you'll have to do a lot of saving for it. If expenses for IELTS are out of your range then I wouldn't recommend starting this process until you have a fairly large sum of money behind you first.

To put things into perspective, I have already spent over $22,000 to get to the stage I'm at now, although that does include a trip to australia to sit an exam for the skills assessment. That sum doesn't include the extra savings I have made to ensure we survive the first couple of months there.

Anybody that has been through this process will tell you that it costs significantly more than they thought it would be. Some (lucky) people have been sponsored by an employer and had flight and relocation packages offered to them, these offers and sponsorship are very rare and only a handful of people will get an offer like that and even then it's normally because they have been actively sought by an employer.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I am aware of the costs involved in the process. Luckily, my mom has vowed to provide me with all the expenditure that will be incurred for visa. It's just that I had decided to bear the costs of skills assessment and IELTS myself, and this academic IELTS costs have popped out of nowhere since I had no I idea that I will might have to sit for another IELTS test. This has caught me off guard, that's all.

Further, how confident are you that I can get an invite for external auditor within 2 rounds?

Regards

Hi Terry

firstly, I would advise you to look into the skills assessment requirements, as an EOI is of no use if you can't get a corresponding positive skills assessment (within the required timeframe) to apply for a visa.

Secondly - be aware there are fee's to pay in applying for a visa.... I don't say this to put you off - but you need to plan how you would tackle these issues.... If the cost of a Pearson PTE academic test is a challenge, then the visa and skills assessment costs are far greater.

If you can get a positive skills assessment for an Internal Auditor, then 60 points should get you an invite. Otherwise, I would recommend you boost your points via an English language test. Note - the accounting Skills assessment body (for example CPA Australia) will INSIST you have an academic English language score equivalent to IELTS 7 or above in all four categories, so you can't avoid this.

hopefully you can work around these issues.... As Cap C said - your English is excellent, so don't let this be a barrier...

good luck...

Hi Pommie, I am so gutted to say that Pearson Test is not offered in Pakistan so I am stuck with IELTS. I can not apply for internal auditor as I don't have necessary work experience for it. But I have positive skills assessment for Accountant General, but since the academic ielts with which I got this has expired now, I have to resit the test in order to get skills assessment as an external auditor. Lastly, I wish Pearson was offered here.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I am aware of the costs involved in the process. Luckily, my mom has vowed to provide me with all the expenditure that will be incurred for visa. It's just that I had decided to bear the costs of skills assessment and IELTS myself, and this academic IELTS costs have popped out of nowhere since I had no I idea that I will might have to sit for another IELTS test. This has caught me off guard, that's all.

Further, how confident are you that I can get an invite for external auditor within 2 rounds?

Regards

Providing you get a valid skills assessment and fulfil all of the requirements then I'm very (99%) confident that you'd get an invitation within 2 months for 'external auditor'.

I wouldn't be as confident for such a timeframe for accountant with only 60 points. (Based on a 189 Visa)

Providing you get a valid skills assessment and fulfil all of the requirements then I'm very (99%) confident that you'd get an invitation within 2 months for 'external auditor'.

I wouldn't be as confident for such a timeframe for accountant with only 60 points. (Based on a 189 Visa)

As I said I already have a positive skills assessment from cpa for accountant general and I met all 12 core knowledge area requirement . Which leads me to believe that I shall also get a positive skills assessment for external auditor since I satisfied all the subject requirements that were compulsory and optional for external auditor. But by the time I will get my positive skills assessment for external auditor, it will be September, so does your opinion on my chances still stay the same?

Regards

As I said I already have a positive skills assessment from cpa for accountant general and I met all 12 core knowledge area requirement . Which leads me to believe that I shall also get a positive skills assessment for external auditor since I satisfied all the subject requirements that were compulsory and optional for external auditor. But by the time I will get my positive skills assessment for external auditor, it will be September, so does your opinion on my chances still stay the same?

Regards

I can't really say for certain Terry. It's a gamble either way. You may or may not get state nomination straight away or next week/month/year its all dependent on how many accountants are going to press the button on their EOI today, tomorrow or next week, it's unfortunately impossible to say.

How about you try for state nomination now, providing you have all of the requisite requirements which you indicated that you have. Meanwhile, make plans for getting a skills assessment for external auditor, and if there is no news on the state sponsorship by September, or it fails, then you are in an advanced position to throw the external auditor skills assessment into the ring. It will obviously cost you more money but might be worth it if time is against you?

Alternatively, apply for the state sponsorship as above and wait to find out the outcome, then if it fails you then apply as an external auditor.

What do you think?

I mean do you think all the places will be filled by September or October? Considering how last year they were still not filled at the end of the financial year.

I think there is close to zero chance that the places for that occupation will be taken by September.

OK so how does this plan sound to you?(Its pretty much what you suggested):

I will hopefully submit EOIs for NSW SS and 189 for General Accountant in August, and then I will sit the academic IELTS in September and hopefully submit EOIs for NSW SS and 189 for External Auditor in late September.

I will hopefully submit EOIs for NSW SS and 189 for General Accountant in August, and then I will sit the academic IELTS in September and hopefully submit EOIs for NSW SS and 189 for External Auditor in late September.

If you don't get the state sponsorship for accountant then withdraw and go for ext auditor on 189. Wouldn't bother with state sponsorship for ext auditor, otherwise yes it's good.

Terry

sounds ok - but please make sure you can get a positive skills assessment for internal auditor. I don't know your back ground - but remember your EOI is worthless if you can't get the positive skills assessment for the number of years experience needed to gain you enough points...

Mid you have got sufficient years of relevant auditor experience, then this will be a quicker route for you to get an invite with 60 points ...

good luck

Archived