Changes in Accountants Core Knowledges

Kuriatko

Hi.

I want to share with you my short unlucky story about my CPA skill assessment, as Accountant (General) - code 221111.

Just a week ago I got a negative outcome for the above skill assessment, due to the lacking of the mandatory core knowledge called "Accounting Theory". CPA recognised that I have all other knowledges (both mandatory and optional) and that I met all other requirements!

Now, since 1st July 2015, the rules have been changed: the "Accounting Theory" knowledge does not longer exist, because it is included in the "new" competency area called "Financial Accounting and Reporting". In addition, the difference between mandatory and optional knowledges has been cancelled: today it is necessary to achieve 7 of total 9 competency areas.

Given that "Accounting Theory" is part of a new competency area that I already have passed in my previous skill assessment, do you believe it could be possible to ask for a re-assessment by CPA - under the new rules - where the lacking of "Accounting Theory" could be ignored because covered by competencies of "Financial Accounting and Reporting"?

As an alternative, I could apply for a new skill assessment by ICAA (always under the new post-July rules and with the new competency areas, without the "Accounting Theory"). In this case, it could also be useful to show a certificate of good standing of my accounting body (where I am a member since April 2009).

I hope to receive some good ideas from you. I read that Mr. Alan Collett is an accountant colleague and that he is a member of ICAA: maybe you know how ICAA manages these new rules.

Excuse me in advance if my English is not perfect: it is not my first language :wink: !

Guest The Pom Queen

It may be worth having a chat with @Alan Collett as not only is he a migration agent but he is also an accountant so hopefully he can help. Good luck

Archived