Employer Reference for TRA

PomCop

Afternoon / evening

I have obtaining employer references for my TRA except one. This is due to me not knowing any contact details for the company anymore and they do not seem to have a website or any other means.

Besides that, that particular employer was a bit of a *insert naughty word here* and he did not end up paying in full in the end for the contracted work.

Can any advice what to do in regards to not being able to obtain the reference? Do I just ignore it and not put them in? I literally did about 2 or 3 weeks for them. So nothing major.

Cheers.

Thanks AJ - supervisor reference not possible as I'm the supervisor.!

What would the stat dec need to read?

Thanks

That you worked for Company from to as duties say you have made every attempt to contact etc, believe they are no longer in existence, no website etc, think that should cover it but I think you need to have it witnessed by a Solicitor/Notary Public, check that though!

I've just completed my stage 2 and am about to do my technical interview and practical assessment as I'm an electrician on Friday. I was self employed for the vast majority of the time that they required evidence for and could get all but 1 of my references and it didn't matter. I supplied tax returns invoices and payslips for times that I'd worked via an agency and they were fine with it. They tried to contact some of my references with no luck and I got back to them saying I'd tried to contact them and explained the various reason to why they weren't contactable and the next day I got my pass certificate for the state 2.

I think if you've made an effort to get a reference it shouldn't be a problem. Also were you employed or a contractor? Either way they want proof you were working and if you can prove that you're working in your trade for the rest of the time I'm sure if you can prove that you were working for that period of time with either pay slip, a p45/p60 or tax returns.

As as far as I understand it if you can prove you were working it doesn't matter what form that proof comes in. Also I'm fairly sure it's against the law for an employer not to give you a reference if you get in contact with them. I know it's illegal for them to give you a bad one and at a minimum they have to provide, job role, employment period, name of employee and contact details to confirm the reference

That's correct - it does breach the Data Protection Act for them to not give you a reference and to give you a bad one however, they can refuse to give YOU there reference, but cannot refuse it if a company requests the reference...

Archived