Valuation Import Calculator - Vehicles

Major Tom

Hi all,

I had this reply on a previous thread of mine, but I'm looking if anyone has a valuation calculator to use to calculate the taxes when importing vehicles?

i was informed that my 1972 VW Kombi would be exempt, but my 2003 Honda Motorbike would not be. But then the slap another 10% on total value, but what values do they go on, UK or AU?

I'm a bit confused TBH!

Cheers MT

Hi all,

I had this reply on a previous thread of mine, but I'm looking if anyone has a valuation calculator to use to calculate the taxes when importing vehicles?

i was informed that my 1972 VW Kombi would be exempt, but my 2003 Honda Motorbike would not be. But then the slap another 10% on total value, but what values do they go on, UK or AU?

I'm a bit confused TBH!

Cheers MT

Sorry Tom, that may have been my fault not responding! The Kombi gets an exemption from the customs duty of 5% because it's older than 30 years. The bike doesn't obviously.

For personal imports, it's best to get a valuation done as a customs value is a lot lower than the Australian market value (and will therefore save you money on tax and duty). Any valuer worth their salt will tell you if they don't think they can save you more than the cost of the valuation ie there's no point in paying $330 for a valuation that saves you $200. Customs will sometimes accept the invoice value, but they're not stupid - they will generally only accept it if the value is higher than what they reckon a valuer would come back with. For the same reason, you can submit an invoice from your uncle saying you bought the car for GBP50!

Hope this helps :)

Archived