Wanting to move from Victoria to brisbane

Katyreid

Hi all, after some advice about where to live in Brisbane. We've lived in Melbourne in the Dandenong ranges now for 5 yrs and love it but really want to move to the sunshine. We are looking at spending no more than 500k and need to be near CBD for jobs but don't want a small block (we currently live on an acre) we'd need 4 beds as FIL visits evey yr. we need access to good schools as I'm a teacher but have two girls one starting next yr and the other in grade 1. We love the outdoors but most importantly want to find that community feel and be in a family friendly neighbourhood that has trees and parks. Am I wanting too much?? Thanks everyone.

Check the transport maps very carefully. CBD is on the North side of the river with the bridges being a little bit of a pinch point during peak. The traffic becomes busy when heading in from or out West although you do get better value and more land as a consequence. There are some spots on the east coast but next can become pricey, quite industrial and close to the airport. So Northern suburbs maybe best for travel but are quite expensive unless leaving the city up towards North Lakes etc.

If you can put up with traffic or are near a station then head out west for land, further you go the cheaper it becomes. Legacy way (tunnel) has just opened so traffic should improve slightly.

Best of luck and welcome to a great positive city.

S

Have a look on realestate.com.au at what you can get for under $500k. We live an hour on the train out in the Bayside area - great schools, parks, neighbourhood and plenty to do. Less than an hour's drive to the Gold Coast. But for $500k you won't be looking at a large plot and a 4 bed. As you get closer to the city on this side of Brisbane, it'll be even harder to find a house like you describe for $500k.

Mount Cotton is an up and coming area, with a number of developments, that may be worth looking at. I guess it also depends on where you work - commuting can be a right pain!

I would agree with srg73, checkout the transport for both times and costs, then come back and offer up some suburbs for comments. Like tina above we live on the bayside so are a little biased towards that area, even though it is a great area, but it would be hard to tick everyone of your wish list box's, my Brother will be selling his half acre, 4 bed with pool at Victoria point later on this year it will be somewhere around the $800K, we bought a 4 bed lowset 600sqM in Victoria point last year for $456K. There are heaps of new developments on going and due to commence in Victoria point & Thornlands, land prices are about the $250k mark.

Good luck with the move.

I would agree with srg73, checkout the transport for both times and costs, then come back and offer up some suburbs for comments. Like tina above we live on the bayside so are a little biased towards that area, even though it is a great area, but it would be hard to tick everyone of your wish list box's, my Brother will be selling his half acre, 4 bed with pool at Victoria point later on this year it will be somewhere around the $800K, we bought a 4 bed lowset 600sqM in Victoria point last year for $456K. There are heaps of new developments on going and due to commence in Victoria point & Thornlands, land prices are about the $250k mark.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks for your suggestions.

We have been looking at the areas and decided to go West, Karana Downs and the surrounding suburbs - we need land and a house with character. We have done the new build when we moved from UK to Melbourne and love to renovate older houses with that charm feeling. Most importantly we want the land as we have animals and we are on an acre here. WE had 740sqm when we built and i still found the neighbours too close. I think we will look west. Can anyone comment on suburbs out that way?

Thank you :)

Archived