Ferny grove area

Hodgies2Oz

I am thinking that we would like to settle in Ferny Grove/Hills area when we get a visa. It seems ideal for us but wondered if anyone could give me advice on that area I.e. are the schools OK, shopping too far away or is it manageable? I have a 12 and 9 year old.

I have also come across Upper Kedron when looking at these areas and the houses seem newer here, which is our preference. So wondered if anyone also had thoughts on Upper Kedron.

Thank you x

:smile::smile::smile:

Love Ferny Grove. We live near the station and it is fab. Great parks, great schools, friendly people. We are already thinking about buying here or Upper Kedron when our tenancy expires. 30 mins to CBD and 10 mins into the mountains. A fantastic family friendly place to live. Can you tell we like it here ;-)

Slightly less gushing and more advice :

Coles in Ferny Grove - you can do your weekly shop there. Other close shopping centres nearby.

Transport - train very good and you can always get a seat as end of line.

Schools - Ferny Grove High has better reputation than Ferny Hills

My kids go to St Andrews and absolutely love it.

Cinema about 15 mins drive

Samford - lovely rural town 10 mins

Mount Glorious and the national park 30 -40 mins - amazing rainforest

Cycle tracks and walking routes v close

Market and carboot every Sunday in station car park.

Fab clean parks with skate area / basketball

Upper Kedron has lots of families. Really nice area but that bit further to the station and you need to get there early if you want a parking space

• 2 weeks later...

Well the visa was submitted last night (just need medicals) so we definitely need to think of our areas to move to now. Anyone else got any info on The Gap, Ferny Grove etc. Our other thoughts are Chapel Hill, Kenmore or Indooroopily. Are these nice areas for our children with good schools, facilities etc. Hubby is a major mountain bike freak, so I think he'll be happy in any of these areas! Thank u for any help x

Well the visa was submitted last night (just need medicals) so we definitely need to think of our areas to move to now. Anyone else got any info on The Gap, Ferny Grove etc. Our other thoughts are Chapel Hill, Kenmore or Indooroopily. Are these nice areas for our children with good schools, facilities etc. Hubby is a major mountain bike freak, so I think he'll be happy in any of these areas! Thank u for any help x

In terms of the suburbs you have mentioned Ferny Grove is the most affordable. The Gap is considered a little more upmarket and more expensive with good schools.

Indooroopilly and Chapel Hill are generally more expensive again than The Gap and also have great schools. Kenmore is also good and probably on par with The Gap in prices. The schools with the best reputations tend to be in Bardon, Ashgrove, Chapel Hill, Indooroopilly, St Lucia etc but they are the more expensive character home areas. This does't mean the schools in the other areas are necessarily bad btw, just back in the main pack.

Anywhere near Gap Creek Road is great for mountain biking as a lot of mountain bikers park half way along to access the trails (though there are other ways in as well from all of the surrounding suburbs). Here's the trail map if he hasn't found it already: http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/mt_coottha_mtb_track_map.pdf

My brother recently moved to Ferny Grove and his 3 children seem to be doing fine at the local primary school but hard to tell for sure yet. It is a more mixed area than the other ones you mentioned so some streets look a little tired & unkempt and some look good which keeps it affordable. Seems like a decent family area overall. My brother loves the 30 minute train into Brisbane and always getting a seat. It is a little quiet and out of the way for me but I love a little bustle and for others that like quiet it may be perfect. I find The Gap a little prettier and overall nicer streets but you pay for that and it may make little difference to you. Saying that The Gap schools have had a long standing good reputation.

The good thing about Ferny Grove and The Gap are that they have some new but mostly decades old houses which means you can get a good solid house without paying the "new" premium if that isn't important to you. Often means bigger plots as well than you get in new builds if you want that.

The govt recently announced they are spending $3.3 million making a cycle path from Ferny Grove station all the way to Samford Village along the disused rail trail (the rail used continue from Ferny Grove out to Dayboro).

See: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/S/Samford-to-Ferny-Grove-Cycle-Link.aspx

Thank you so much for that fish. That is very helpful information. I didn't know about the new cycle path so that could be great news for us.

Thanks again, that info was great!

No worries. If your husband is also a bicycle commuter to work I can advise on the better places to live for his commute...

Yes he's in IT/software so Looking at the jobs advertised, I am fairly sure he will be in the CBD

He's not a software tester is he ?

Ferny Grove is possible but I think there is an awkward connection between the kedron brook bike path and the enoggera creek bike path (which connects to city centre paths). Do-able still, but fairly long. On the plus side the Kedron Brook Bike Path is one of the longest recreational paths in Brisbane and runs right out to the Bay.

The Gap is somewhat better as the Enoggera Creek bike path runs to The Gap. It still isn't a short ride, maybe 45mins...a colleague does it so I could check if you like ?

Note Brisbane City Council generally puts bike paths along creeks rather than next to roads so they tend to be windy and dark at night in winter. Need good lights. On the plus side you get to ride through some lovely parks and back streets.

This sought of thing:

img00023.JPG

Source: http://www.weekendnotes.com/images/img00023.JPG

Yes he is a software tester....how on earth did u know that????

He does a lot of night riding as well as crazy off road stuff so I think he'd be fine, but again, I'm grateful of that info. He's quite happy to cycle 45 mins to work, think he'd rather do that than drive. I'll just have to make sure I get him well insured in case he falls in a creek!!!!

Yes he is a software tester....how on earth did u know that????

I think we used to live next door to you guys ;) Only kidding...I didn't know...we just need one ASAP so I always ask :) Good testers are hard to find. Roughly how far away is your visa do you know ?

He does a lot of night riding as well as crazy off road stuff so I think he'd be fine, but again, I'm grateful of that info. He's quite happy to cycle 45 mins to work, think he'd rather do that than drive. I'll just have to make sure I get him well insured in case he falls in a creek!!!!

Yes, I'm with him on that one...love my daily cycle to work.

I would think 3 months all being well for us to get out there. He is a Principal Software Tester and done it for 15 years, so definitely knows his stuff! If you still need someone in a few months then please don't hesitate to contact me...Hubby's biggest fear in all this is not being able to get a tester job!

You have been really helpful, thank you very much fish!

I would think 3 months all being well for us to get out there. He is a Principal Software Tester and done it for 15 years, so definitely knows his stuff! If you still need someone in a few months then please don't hesitate to contact me...Hubby's biggest fear in all this is not being able to get a tester job!

You have been really helpful, thank you very much fish!

Get him to send me his CV now if you like...I'll get it across the right desks...can't hurt to let them know he's coming...

That would be brilliant, thank you very much for that. He's at work but I'll get him to message you with it later. Thk u again!

No problem. Was going to tell you about why he should work for us but thought instead would show you the $1million revamp of our lunch room last week to convince him :)

We have free drinks every Fri at 4 (wine, cider, beer on tap etc) but this one last Friday was better than usual....

19468673056_faa8f05f78_z.jpg18872240974_7114e8745b_z.jpg18872239284_310e34b0d3_z.jpg18872256294_228e21f2f2_z.jpg18872299264_18e33049d7_z.jpg19494776125_7d3c4df3af_z.jpg19499139201_553b020a4d_z.jpg19499132231_30e5882e40_z.jpg

Ha ha OMG that's amazing......sure I could do some testing as well with a bit of practice!!!!!

I can't believe that, looks fabulous. Do you actually work right in the CBD? Will definitely get a CV over to you now.

City fringe in Fortitude Valley. Lots of companies relocating to Fortitude Valley, Gasworks and South Brisbane these days.

Yes you will definitely win him over with those photos.....blinking eck, I'm jealous!

You can come in for the free Friday drinks without doing the testing...my brother works there as well and his wife occassionally does the 25min trip in on the train from Ferny Grove to join in with 3 kids in tow ;)

Looks fairly straightforward for commuting.....brilliant! Watch this space I guess!

We have hundreds of software developers so if he is the right fit he has a good chance of getting a testing job I would think...definitely worth trying. We are always chatting about the difficulty of getting experienced reliable senior testers.

We develop in C#/HTML5 through browser on desktop, tablet/phone; large enterprise system on Amazon cloud; offices in 5 countries including the UK. Decades of continuous profitability.

Archived