Temp accommodation (~1 month) Eatons Hills / Albany Creek Areas

M005

Hi All

Family of four moving over in September and in need of some temporary accommodation until our shipping arrives and we sort out a longer term rental.

Does anyone know of anywhere or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi All

Family of four moving over in September and in need of some temporary accommodation until our shipping arrives and we sort out a longer term rental.

Does anyone know of anywhere or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi

We live in Eatons Hill and there is nowhere close by that has furnished short term accommodation. The best I can suggest is looking in the Chermside area (about 15 minutes drive from AC/EH) where I know other PIOs have stayed in furnished apartments. I also did a quick Google search and there is a 2 bedroom cottage for rent in Kedron (again near Chermside) which has good reviews. Otherwise, if you can stand it for a few weeks, there are some motels in Carseldine which may have basic cooking facilities.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Hi,

Apparently the Chermside motel has good reviews and is about 15 mins from EH/Ac as Loopylu has stated above. Or there's a few other motels around that area.

We're about 10 minutes from AC so feel free to pm if you want any more information :)

Many thanks both, I'll take a look at those, and will definitely have more questions so appreciate the offer :)

You could also try looking on Airbnb. This place came up at Brighton which is 20-25 minutes drive from EH:

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/2848603?guests=4&s=ulqE

Furnished accommodation is quite expensive. I remember we paid $900 a week in 2008 for a two bed/two bath apartment.

• 1 month later...

Sold our house and we fly to Brisbane on the 24th August.

We're considering the two primary schools in Albany Creek, albeit that one is zoned. Bit concerned that the children will prefer the zoned one and that as shipping won't arrive until early November, we will be in furnished accommodation which won't be in the zones area until then.

Anything with availability is vv expensive - is there anywhere to rent / buy cheap furniture to tide us over in a non furnished rental property? Seem to recall people on the forums from Melbourne mentioning places down there, but not seen anything for Brisbane.

Sold our house and we fly to Brisbane on the 24th August.

We're considering the two primary schools in Albany Creek, albeit that one is zoned. Bit concerned that the children will prefer the zoned one and that as shipping won't arrive until early November, we will be in furnished accommodation which won't be in the zones area until then.

Anything with availability is vv expensive - is there anywhere to rent / buy cheap furniture to tide us over in a non furnished rental property? Seem to recall people on the forums from Melbourne mentioning places down there, but not seen anything for Brisbane.

Hi

I have known a few people who have camped out in unfurnished accommodation until their furniture arrives. We are a fairly friendly bunch here and have been known to lend people furniture etc for a few weeks until people's containers arrive. :wink:If you join Brisbannites and New to Northside on Facebook and explain your situation then people will often help you out with the essentials.

We have two spare single mattresses (in good condition) which you could borrow for the kids. We also have spare quilts etc as end of August can still be fairly chilly. We recently kitted out my MIL with basic kitchen items when she moved out of a nursing home into sheltered accommodation. She only lasted a matter of weeks before returning to the nursing home so we can also lend you a set of four of plates, bowls, mugs, cutlery etc and lots of other kitchen bits and bobs.

If you have a one way ticket and a PR visa then you should be able to bring extra luggage on the flight over so you could bring the bedding you need.

As far as a table and chairs is concerned, you are likely to need to buy outdoor furniture so you could use it indoors until your sofa etc arrives.

White goods can be hired quite easily but if you are not bringing these with you then you will likely be buying these when you get here so that should not be a problem. Rented accommodation usually comes with a built in dishwasher as for some reason these are treated like fixtures. You are unlikely though to find built in microwaves and fridge/freezer.

Hope this helps.

Hi

I have known a few people who have camped out in unfurnished accommodation until their furniture arrives. We are a fairly friendly bunch here and have been known to lend people furniture etc for a few weeks until people's containers arrive. :wink:If you join Brisbannites and New to Northside on Facebook and explain your situation then people will often help you out with the essentials.

We have two spare single mattresses (in good condition) which you could borrow for the kids. We also have spare quilts etc as end of August can still be fairly chilly. We recently kitted out my MIL with basic kitchen items when she moved out of a nursing home into sheltered accommodation. She only lasted a matter of weeks before returning to the nursing home so we can also lend you a set of four of plates, bowls, mugs, cutlery etc and lots of other kitchen bits and bobs.

If you have a one way ticket and a PR visa then you should be able to bring extra luggage on the flight over so you could bring the bedding you need.

As far as a table and chairs is concerned, you are likely to need to buy outdoor furniture so you could use it indoors until your sofa etc arrives.

White goods can be hired quite easily but if you are not bringing these with you then you will likely be buying these when you get here so that should not be a problem. Rented accommodation usually comes with a built in dishwasher as for some reason these are treated like fixtures. You are unlikely though to find built in microwaves and fridge/freezer.

Hope this helps.

WOW - thank you so much LoopyLu. :notworthy:

We need to buy a new double bed for the guest room so would only need something for the children, and duvets , plates etc would would all be very useful. Thank you.

Still trying to get a final weight allowance from the airlines; Singapore offer 30kg, but I can't get confirmation whether this is standard or enhanced migration allowance. Weighed our cases yesterday and a couple are 8kg empty - so they will be going in the container and I'll buy some huge holdall bags which weigh only 1 kg each.

Thanks for the facebook group links - I'll join those now.

I've read mortgage statements and a copy of our UK Property sale brochure are all useful things to have when trying to secure a rental as a new migrant, in addition to offering to pay a couple of months up front as I most likely won't have secured a job by then - is there anything else I can do to improve success?

Feel like I have a million questions as the moment.......:confused:

WOW - thank you so much LoopyLu. :notworthy:

We need to buy a new double bed for the guest room so would only need something for the children, and duvets , plates etc would would all be very useful. Thank you.

Still trying to get a final weight allowance from the airlines; Singapore offer 30kg, but I can't get confirmation whether this is standard or enhanced migration allowance. Weighed our cases yesterday and a couple are 8kg empty - so they will be going in the container and I'll buy some huge holdall bags which weigh only 1 kg each.

Thanks for the facebook group links - I'll join those now.

I've read mortgage statements and a copy of our UK Property sale brochure are all useful things to have when trying to secure a rental as a new migrant, in addition to offering to pay a couple of months up front as I most likely won't have secured a job by then - is there anything else I can do to improve success?

Feel like I have a million questions as the moment.......:confused:

Hi M005

30kg is standard now for good airlines like Singapore and Emirates. If you are on a 457 visa then you can't get any additional allowance for migration as they figure you will probably return to the UK. If you have a permanent visa then contact the airline direct to see what they can do for you.

As far as rentals are concerned, you could also bring character references or, if you have friends already in Australia who have known you a while, character references from them would be better than UK references as it will be easier for an agent to call them to check references. My husband recently had to give a character reference for an old friend in addition to her having to provide references from places where she has rented previously.

Out of interest, what sort of job are you looking for and how old are your kids?

Cheers

Lucy

Hi Lucy

We do have some friends in Aus and my sister lives down in Melbourne. Visa is a 189, so will give the airlines a call and see what they will offer.

Our Son is 9 and Daughter is 5 (6 in November).

I'm an accountant - a commercial accountant rather than an auditor - looking for finance manager, business partner type roles.

Cheers

Mark.

Hi Mark

Are you going to hold off putting the kids in school until after the Spring break (ie start school on Tuesday 6 October)? It would make more sense to start at the beginning of a semester and also gives you approx 6 weeks to find rented accommodation in the relevant catchment area. It will probably drive you demented having kids under your feet for so long, especially as they will have already had the UK school sumer holidays....

Hi Lucy

Yes, that's the plan; we'll look at both schools whilst term is still on & decide which one for them to start at on 6th October.

What ages are your children & what schools so they go to?

Hi Mark

As we live in Eatons Hill we have sent our kids to Eatons Hill State School for their primary education. We have been totally satisified with the school but know that the AC schools are also very good.

Our boys (identical twin 14 year olds) are currently in Grade 9 at Wavell State High. Our daughter who is 10 is in Grade 5 at EHSS. We chose Wavell over Albany Creek State High as it offers a wider variety of subjects at secondary level - in particular 3 languages (French, German and Japanese) whereas ACSH only offers Japanese. Academically, ACSH, Wavell and Craigslea State High all seem roughly on a par when it comes to OPI scores. Each state high tends to focus on certain areas of excellence. For ACSH and Wavell, drama and music are both very important. Wavell is also a key school for developping rugby league (much to my boys' annoyance - they much prefer gentler sports like cricket!).

If your wife is not planning on working immediately or only part time, she may also be interested in joining the Brisbane Northside Mums which holds regular park meet ups and other social events. I go along when I can but as I work full-time as a commercial lawyer (energy and resources) in the CBD it's often difficult to join in during the week. However, I have made some good friends through this organisation and New to Northside.

Cheers

Lucy

Archived