bottom of the pile

Polkey

Has any one else out there had problems renting when they arrive in Oz?

Were on the Gold Coast and been looking at rentals most of which are not that great but that aside every agent we has seen so far has told us we have very little chance of getting anything unless we pay 6 months upfront. Due to the fact that its easier for the land lords to check future Ozy tenants reference than it is to confirm the ones we have from UK.

We lived with my wife's parents for 2 years whist we saved and applied, we have a ref from previous landlord, I've just got a job, we have sufficient funds to support our selfs but this doesn't seem to help. You have to do a 100 point test which I pass butt my wife doesn't because she does not have a second photo ID such as a driving license, apparently a passport with your visa stamped in is not seficiant enough proof that you are who you say you are pluss she has no job yet. They really seem reluctant, one agent said your going to be at the bottom of the pile reardless because its easier to deal with Ozzy applications, lazy @£$^. Funny though because they all said if you pay up six months in front then the rental is ours no questions asked.

AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

John:arghh:

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi John,

We paid 6 months rent in advance in order to secure our house, its quite normal to expect to do that when you first arrive. Keep going to the open days and try and arrive first, tell them straight away you'll pay 6 months rent in advance if you want the place and I'm sure you won't be bottom of the pile then.

Liz

Guest mandy1

Hi

I know how you feel! When we arrived we kept being told that as we had no rental references then we had no chance. We paid 6 months rent in advance & got offered 2 properties we'd looked at! I think you just have to bite the bullet & shell out the cash to secure a place. Good luck

Mandy x

Guest fieldownunder

What a pain... same thing happened to us. We had to 'volunteer' to pay 6 months up front to secure our rental. Luckily tho, our landlord didnt take us up on the offer but only signed us up for 6 months as opposed to 1 year which is what the agent said the minimum let period was! Maybe you can 'volunteer' to pay 3 months up front in your applications? Good luck, we do feel for you! M&R

Archived