Name change.

bessiedoll

Hi everybody. Last week my permanent residence section of the partner visa was approved ?????. Since first lodging my visa application I have been married and therefore changed my name on all of my documents, drivers license, medicare, tax office etc etc. But, I still have my old name on my passport, and for this reason I kept all of my visa documentation in my old name. I will be eligible to apply for citizenship next year, and I want to apply for it in my married name. how can I change my name with immigration without changing the name on my passport? I don't want to have to get a new uk passport when I can get an australian passport after I get citizenship? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Your visa / immigration record and your passport need to be in the same name, so you either change them both or you do not. This means you will need to travel in your maiden name for the time being if you don't change it. Personally I would have bitten the bullet when you changed everything else and get it done in one fell swoop. I probably would change the UK passport now too, but that is me.

I guess when it comes to citizenship you turn up with your marriage certificate and see if they can put the citizenship certificate in your married name even though your proof of identity is still in maiden name. No reason why they shouldn't.

Archived