Has anyone used an online solicitor for conveyancing??

j19jjr

Have sold our house and received a quote of £900 from a local solicitor that we have used before. Hubby has found some co's online that will do the whole thing for roughly half the cost, but I am a tad nervous. Has anyone else used a firm they found on the internet & how do I go about researching if they're kosher??

TIA, Jackie

Not in UK but have here in AU. Service was as expected...prety poor. In UK we have always used one solicitor as we had been really happy with his quick professional service and would go see him in person. Over the Internet the conveyancer we used was hard to get hold of, inaccurate and very amature, only just got everything complete before completion.

Not sure if comparison between old fashion and online service or UK and AU service.

S

Have sold our house and received a quote of £900 from a local solicitor that we have used before. Hubby has found some co's online that will do the whole thing for roughly half the cost, but I am a tad nervous. Has anyone else used a firm they found on the internet & how do I go about researching if they're kosher??

TIA, Jackie

Generally with conveyancing services you get what you pay for in my experience (both as a client and lawyer). if 900 pounds is for fees only (not searches etc) that sounds a bit steep but it may be because you are in the South East. You should be able to pick up a fixed fee deal for between 300 - 400 pounds with additional costs for searches etc. Perhaps if you find Kent lawyers abit expensive, get quotes from firms up north! I wouldn't use an online service as I agree with srg73, they are hard to pin down.

Archived