Are We Mad !!!!

parsonsbigfamilyadventure

apparently is a guid word. Please dont attack my hold on the english language? shall i ever live that post down ? (Married to Choobs) ;-)

Daisydeeds

Bloody hell - now I know where the last of the Hobgoblin went to last night!

Choobs

• 3 weeks later...
Has anybody else never been to Australia but are trying to move there, my family and friends think my husband and myself are complete bonkers.

Johanne

Good question. I think it makes very little difference either way.

Most people visit Australia under holiday conditions initially (including me). There's a world of difference between visiting as a tourist as opposed to living and working here. In fact judging the place with a view to living here under tourist conditions is not a good idea unless you're stinking rich. That's not to say its not a great place to live - as it is. It's just that visiting as a tourist probably gives little indication as to your personal suitability to come & live here successfully.

What makes one person adjust relatively easily & another not is beyond me. I deliberately say one person because I do know families split down the middle over this.

Just give it a go I say. The more open minded you are about the outcome - I suspect the less likely yo will be disappointed.

...it has to be better than the U.K.

I don't know whether the word is better, it's certainly very different.

What makes one person adjust relatively easily & another not is beyond me

I think it boils down to the difference (attitudes and emotions) between individuals. Some people will always need the closeness of their families, especially large families. Others find it a lot easier to adjust to being isolated (at the other side of the world) and can make a new and much better life for themselves, without pining for what they've left behind.

It's a lot easier to say than it is to do! That's why the Aus Government in their wisdom, use two years as the measuring stick as to whether migrants stay, or go back to UK. A few weeks (on holiday) or six months even, (honeymoon) is no time to really settle and build a new life.

Add to that the constant pull of close family - functions you'll hear about but can't attend, and especially Christmas celebrations, births and funerals, accidents and sickness, will all happen without you being there. We don't think about these things until they actually happen, and we don't know how we'll react until put to the test.

There's no shame in saying Aus is not for me, and going back. At least you'll have tried, and got the tee shirt. You never know, you might be like me, and be so glad that you escaped. :lol: We've been here twenty eight years now.......and I think I'll stay. :D

Koala

Koala

I agree with all you say there. My sentence of it being beyond me was a bit of a cop out I admit. Its very complex & you're right it is "a lot easier to say than do".

The comment "it has to be better than the UK" is always worrying. Australia isn't better than the UK (or vice versa for that matter). It is as you say very different.

Hi Johanne,

wehave done it aswell we have never been and have come over with our two children 13 and 16, so tricky ages. We have come to N.S.W and are staying we have been here 5 weeks have bought a house and a car so no going back now, we just thought why not but you do miss people back home and wish they could be nearer, but you take each day as it comes we are not in the house yet and can't wait we are stayi 8) ng with people at the moment who i used to know 8 years ago but we have been here a few weeks now and it is getting a bit tense but it wont be long. We come from Chelmsford in Essex and we are both in our 40's so getting on a bit Good Luck Just go for it Frances

Hi Frances

Its so good to hear from somebody that has done it, we cant wait, I was born in Chelmsford, have the children settled, my nieces are 13 and 10 and they keep telling my twin boys agen 8 that they will have no friends and they will be the english kids that everybody talks about (children what are they like) what i think they really want to say is that they will miss them

Johanne

Hi Johanne,

What a small world, where were you born in Chelmsford? we live in the Avenues off Broomfield Road, when were you last there I bet it has changed a lot. My daughter is going to start school next week and I think I am dreading it more than her because I am not sure what the kids will be like towards her, she is going to a catholic achool and it is all girls I am sending her now before they break up for christmas so she will go for about 4 weeks just so hopefully she will make some new friends they buddy her up with another girl and they will take her round so i will let you know how she gets on, the school seemed very nice the only thing is you do have to pay for the catholic schools here, I think you will probably get the girls who might be a bit funny towards her but you will also get the ones who will want to be her friend as she is the new girl and as she will be starting in year 7 they are quite young so hopefully ok. My son Stephen has made friends with a couple of people it is going to take time but I think they will be ok (I Hope). Oh well let me know how you get on and keep in touch let me know where you end up Come Here it is lovely on the Central Coast! Frances

Hi again, just to say that I agree with Fat Pom in that It isn't better than the UK I would never run England down it is a lovely country, and there will be a lot you miss about England some things you won't but having said that it is very different here and I am sure we will love it here just as much also you will find fault here aswell thoughFrances

Hi Frances

I was born in moulsham, but we moved to Rainham when I was 2, I have only just gone back, my niece had to have some surgery done at broomfield hospital, How did you pick NSW, all the places look lovley, we are I think heading for Perth, my husband is a mechanic and Perth looked a good option, How long did it take to get your visa we have passed the TRA and I am in the process of getting all the documents together for our independent skills visa (136) what a nightmare I have an eighteen month toddler at home and I work 3 nights at lakeside (m&s) did you shop at lakedise, how does shopping compare in NSW, so nice to speak with people that have done it all ready, take care

Johanne

Hi again Johanne we were going to Perth but came her first because someone I used to work with asked us to stay with them (that has turned into a bit of a nightmare though) sometimes i wish we had gone to Perth, Aaaagh, as some friends of ours are going there and we always got on really well so I will miss them but I know we will not be too far away. It is lovely here and I know that once we move into our house everything will be fine. It is about 4 hours to Perth from here, my husband is in the car industry aswell as a Vehicle Sprayer and our friend is a Panel Beater going to a job in Perth. Keep me posted in what you decide to do take care Frances

Archived