Skills assessment timing for chef in UK.

katherine1989

Hey everyone,

Quick question!

My partner is doing his skills assessment at the moment, he is a chef. How long did it take to hear anything back from the place doing your assessment? Do they contact you when the first stage is successful?

Any information on this stage of the visa would be so helpful :)

Well.. It's taken 11-12 weeks for me to hear back from vetassess. And that was just them asking for more paper work which I sent to them last week.

If your talking about the practical skills assessment, please please please tell me all about it.

He's only in the first stage, he sent everything off on the 22nd of Feb, and since they have only taken his deposit. Have they taken any money from you?

What extra documents did they need from you?

I'd love to know what happens after the practical assessment to!!!!

Well.. It's taken 11-12 weeks for me to hear back from vetassess. And that was just them asking for more paper work which I sent to them last week.

If your talking about the practical skills assessment, please please please tell me all about it.

They needed more info on the person who certified my documents. He was in China for that last 3 weeks so I'm guessing, They tried to contact him and couldn't get through.

I sent all my documents on around the 10th of jan. I got charged after about 8 weeks. Then on the 10th week I hassled my agent and magically the next day I heard back from them. I guess we just have to be patient.

I will try and update this thread for you as I seem to be a few weeks ahead of your application and it would be nice if you could do the same. There isn't much info on here for chefs, so we can help each other out.

It's crazy how long it all takes isn't it? Some kind of contact or update from the assessors would be so wonderful!!!

That would be great if you could keep me updated on your experiences and I will absolutely do the same.

Any information at all makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing!

It takes for too long... Just make sure he has a first aid certificate as well. My agent forgot to tell me I needed it. Luckily my work out me through it, otherwise it's very expensive (I'm guessing your going for skilled independent visa?)

Guest dannii28

Hi guys,

im currently researching the visra process for my siter-in-law and brother-in-law he is a chef. i called VETASSES today and they had a recorded message stating the expected timescale was 6 weeks if applying in aus or 12 weeks from outside hope this helps??

i would love to hear your backgrounds and experiances applying as a chef :-)

Hi guys,

im currently researching the visra process for my siter-in-law and brother-in-law he is a chef. i called VETASSES today and they had a recorded message stating the expected timescale was 6 weeks if applying in aus or 12 weeks from outside hope this helps??

i would love to hear your backgrounds and experiances applying as a chef :-)

Sounds about right! I'll keep you up dated.

Luckily he has done just a basic first aid course so hopefully that is enough as it doesn't specify if you need a certain level.

Yeah he's going for the 189 visa, are you doing the same?

I am led to believe that you need to have a lvl 2 certificate for first aid in the work place that covers cuts and burns.

Yup it's the 189 for me too. Where are you planning to go once your out there ?

Have any of you guys taken the IELTS yet? If not, you will need to. There is a few alternatives tho. Have mooch around on here for info about them, but my advice would be to start taking the test early.

It's not too bad to be honest. As chefs we just need 7s in each band. The first time I failed because I didn't know how they wanted me to write an essay. The second time I failed for what I can only say as lack of concentration.

There is I thread on here somewhere with loads of info, I just can't figure out how to link you to it

Does that 7 apply even when you need to get superior english for more points?

How many times did it take you to pass?

Can you suggest any ways to prepare?

I'll have a look for that thread, thanks

It's not too bad to be honest. As chefs we just need 7s in each band. The first time I failed because I didn't know how they wanted me to write an essay. The second time I failed for what I can only say as lack of concentration.

There is I thread on here somewhere with loads of info, I just can't figure out how to link you to it

So I think 7s will get 10 points which puts me up to 65 points. If I get 8s I will have 75 points.

I have pretty much the minimum experience needed so I get 10 points for experience 15 for occupation 30 for age. (I'm 27)

There is so much IELTS stuff online even just in YouTube. Just familiarise your self with the structure of each test.

I just had a look and for 18-24 year olds you only get 25 points, it would be amazing if he could get 30 for age, then he wouldn't have to worry so much about his IELTS test!!

Do you think he should be booking to do his shortly?

There's no harm in getting it done.. I done it, with a few hours practice to get used to the format I passed first time with 8's and 9's.

The tests can be quite busy depending on the time of year you do them.. This time of the year through to August it will be exceptionally busy as a lot of foreign students are taking them for educational purposes ahead of the new school year in September. It could easily be a month of longer waiting list depending on the test location.

Thanks for your help!!!

There's no harm in getting it done.. I done it, with a few hours practice to get used to the format I passed first time with 8's and 9's.

The tests can be quite busy depending on the time of year you do them.. This time of the year through to August it will be exceptionally busy as a lot of foreign students are taking them for educational purposes ahead of the new school year in September. It could easily be a month of longer waiting list depending on the test location.

I did my first test In bristol and there was at least 60/70 people there! It took so long to register everyone and get going. I took my second in burton, much smaller turn out of about 14 people and the staff running it are super friendly.

I got an email from vetassess today telling me they have received the extra documents I sent them two weeks ago. I know there has been Easter holidays but they do not work fast :/

Omg! My partner will be doing his in Bristol, I can't believe how many people go to that one! Maybe it's better to go somewhere smaller. When are you going in for your next test?

Ohhh good that you got an email! But I agree with you, the pace they work at is ridiculous!! So your going through Vetassess, we're doing it through Victoria University.

Archived