2nd WHV and sponsorship

Matthew Brown

Hey all , hopefully some people will have experience of this and provide their thoughts

im 29 and just got my 2nd HWV and plan to head out

to oz in November this year.

situation i have is I only have 7 months career break from work as I have a mortgage in the uk and want to have a fall back if I don't get the job of promise of a sponsorship

I work within insurance in the uk but didn't go the uni , first year I went in 2007 and did fruit picking but was more a holiday that time , now I want to go back to get sponsorship to stay in oz but I don't know if 7 months will be enough time to get the sponsorship

i'll happily work anywhere random but ideally just want a job that will give me the sponsorship?

Will this his be realistically possible ?

Have you looked to see if your specific occupation is on the SOL or CSOL? That would be the first step, then if you can find a job on the WHV and a willing employer sponsor it might be an option.

But without knowing what you do it is really hard to comment further. If you are an actuary your chances are a lot higher than if you work in the call centre is what I mean.

Basically I do management information , doing reports I have my AAT in accountancy but not qualified and no experience either I wouldn't say the SOL is an option I would be going out and job hunting if that makes sense ?

I am not sure what you mean when you say you work doing management information for insurance companies but yet you have no experience.

:confused:

Anyway that aside, I am just not sure you would be able to get sponsorship as an accountant (you have to nominate an occupation from at least the CSOL even for sponsorship) without a qualification. Maybe somebody else can comment on that, but I am just not sure...

What I do know though is that the market is saturated with part qualified /fully qualified accountants and particularly in financial services which have looked to outsource a lot of these roles in recent years. Give it your best shot, but to be honest I think you would be lucky to find work and it would be incredibly difficult for any company to say that they could not find a suitable local person for an accountant role and need to sponsor an unqualified one.

I think that the odds of meeting a nice Aussie partner might be slightly higher. :wink:

Yeah accountancy would be great but as I'm not qualified I imagine unlikely I was thinking just to go over and search for anything that will offer sponsorship but I only have 7 months not the year due to it being a career break , I don't know what the success rate is in finding sponsorship and especially not having the year available

Yeah accountancy would be great but as I'm not qualified I imagine unlikely I was thinking just to go over and search for anything that will offer sponsorship but I only have 7 months not the year due to it being a career break , I don't know what the success rate is in finding sponsorship and especially not having the year available

But you cannot just get sponsorship for any old role, you have to nominate an occupation on the SOL or CSOL. And accounting technician (which your ATT would qualify you for) is not there.

Time is not your main issue here; it's the fact that your occupation is not on any of the relevant lists (SOL or CSOL) - this will stop you getting sponsored or a permanent visa. I'm a CIMA (& now CPA) qualified accountant and can confirm that you won't meet the criteria of accountant on the SOL with your AAT qualification. The job market here in Perth is quite saturated with qualified/part qualified accountants but you might be successful in gaining employment as a bookkeeper (for example) while on your WHV - but this won't open any doors to 457 sponsorship or any other permanent visa.

Unfortunately, there is not much to recommend so that you get 'lucky' other than enjoy the time you have in Oz on your WHV or (as someone else suggested) you get 'lucky' and meet a nice Aussie girl!! Sorry if it's not what you want to hear but I wish you all the best!!

Employers are not able to sponsor anyone who doesn't have appropriate qualifications in an occupation on the CSOL. It doesn't matter how wonderful they think you are or how much they want to employ you; if you don't meet the skills requirements, any sponsorship application will be denied.

You need to start by going through the CSOL and if you find a likely looking occupation on there, then check ANZSCO to determine if you meet the skill requirements. If you can't find a match, you have zero chance of getting a sponsored visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx The CSOL

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/1220.0Contents02006?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=1220.0&issue=2006&num=&view= ANZSCO

From what you've told us, it sounds like finding an Aussie partner will be your best bet.