Travel insurance

Sammy77

Hi

Wondered if anyone can help and sorry if daft question, we are looking at emigrating on a 457 visa, the agent has messaged to say we need to get travel insurance to cover us until we get Medicare, is this normal travel insurance or is there a specific type I should be looking at?

thanks in advance

Lisa :)

Hi

Wondered if anyone can help and sorry if daft question, we are looking at emigrating on a 457 visa, the agent has messaged to say we need to get travel insurance to cover us until we get Medicare, is this normal travel insurance or is there a specific type I should be looking at?

thanks in advance

Lisa :)

Hi Lisa,

I would buy a policy to insure your outward journey - tickets and luggage etc definately - but I think I'm correct saying that if your visa allows you to live and work in Australia then you are entitled to Medicare. Also the UK and Australia have a reciprocal agreement when it comes to healthcare. Insurance policies are only usually valid for travellers so check with your provider who will explain the validity of the policy cover once you've arrived.

Good luck!

Although you are eligible for medicare (assuming you are a UK resident) technically you need to have your own insurance for the time between when you arrive and when you sign up. I had a special kind of insurance but you may be able to just use normal travel insurance, assuming you sign up to medicare quickly before the travel insurance is invalid. I got specific insurance to be on the safe side. I just cancelled after a month. I can't rememeber the details though, sorry

It's really really worth double checking the small print with travel insurance. We are in a similar predicament; migrating to Oz soon, travelling for a bit, and then able to access Medicare once we arrive. However, most travel insurance (like holiday insurance) policies are based on you being resident in the UK ...and being repatriated to the UK if something goes wrong along the way. If you're migrating, it may void this kind of policy.

For our one-way insurance we used GoWalkabout and gave them a call to chat through our needs first and they were really helpful, so we booked with them. They also kept us insured for two weeks after arrival to give us a grace period to get on with registering for Medicare. Good luck!

Archived