Golf pro looking to test the water?

leecoll87

Hi all, just a post out of interest really more than anything. My girlfriend and I are heading out to Australia in July 2015 for a 6 week break to do some city hopping and general travelling (not the backpacker type). We haven't got any rock solid plans of living and working in Australia but it is something we have spoken about and I guess we are using this trip to see if the way of life is different and we can acclimatise to it?

I am 27 and a fully qualified British PGA Golf Professional, and have been for the last 4 years. I guess my first line of questioning would be; what is the current economic situation with golf in Australia? Would you say there is much scope for a British qualified professional? I am fully aware there is an Australian version of the qualification I have and I guess that most golf clubs are inclined to hire home based professionals as opposed to overseas applicants. Would I be best landing in Australia and doing some "recce" work with golf clubs in different states to put the feelers out? Or would it be wise to send a couple of emails closer to the time?:wideeyed:

Any advice or help would be massively appreciated, thank you in advance

Lee :smile:

Hi all, just a post out of interest really more than anything. My girlfriend and I are heading out to Australia in July 2015 for a 6 week break to do some city hopping and general travelling (not the backpacker type). We haven't got any rock solid plans of living and working in Australia but it is something we have spoken about and I guess we are using this trip to see if the way of life is different and we can acclimatise to it?

I am 27 and a fully qualified British PGA Golf Professional, and have been for the last 4 years. I guess my first line of questioning would be; what is the current economic situation with golf in Australia? Would you say there is much scope for a British qualified professional? I am fully aware there is an Australian version of the qualification I have and I guess that most golf clubs are inclined to hire home based professionals as opposed to overseas applicants. Would I be best landing in Australia and doing some "recce" work with golf clubs in different states to put the feelers out? Or would it be wise to send a couple of emails closer to the time?:wideeyed:

Any advice or help would be massively appreciated, thank you in advance

Lee :smile:

Hi Lee.....golf is struggling in Australia. That is not to say that it isn't still hugely popular.....it is, but participation levels have dropped quite dramatically over the past seven or eight years. I can't really answer your question as to whether or not there would be a need for a British qualified coach or not. I guess so long as your qualifications allow you to ply your profession in Australia, there will be a requirement for golf pro's. Aussies don't look at nationality much. There are so many immigrants in Australia, you are just another number, whether Aussie born or not. There is another PIO member who is a golf pro in Melbourne (Dan Williams). A link to his member profile is below, from where you can send him a private message. He's a helpful guy and would likely be able to answer your questions. Hope this helps.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/98486.html

• 3 weeks later...

Archived