189 visa application help and advice needed

Hi all, I submitted our visa application 16th Jan and have been contacted for documents today. Very exciting times but stressing about the turn around. The letter says 28 days to get documents sent does anyone know if that has to be everything or will they of contacted give more time if you are awaiting a document?

Also can anyone help with who can certify documents for my skill assessment I used a doctor but now it seems I can't use a doctor for this process do I need to get all documents re certified.

Also my partner had been asked for proof of English I thought passport was enough but now it looks like it isn't?

Was hoping someone had some answers or experience to help and stop me stressing over this all so much.

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

If you can't get a document in time, just advise the CO that it will be late and you'll be given an extension.

If your partner is a citizen of and has a passport for an English speaking country i.e. UK, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, they don't need proof of Functional English. If they're from one of those countries, just remind the CO of that fact.

http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english.aspx How can I prove I have Functional English

I'm a bit confused though about your question about who can certify documents for skills assessment. You shouldn't have applied for your visa without already having a positive skills assessment so questions like that should have been asked ages ago. Do you already have a positive skills assessment? If you don't, you have made an invalid visa application if the visa you're applying for requires skills assessment.

Hi thanks for your help I will remind them he has a valid UK passport and hopefully then that will be excepted. Sorry I did not make it clear I have a valid skills assessment when I submitted all the documents for that they had to be certified and I used a doctor to do this. Now for the visa I am being asked to submit documents that I had to submit for skills assessment eg passport and they want it certified although it doesn't look like I can use a doctor I can only find it being accepted if it is certified by a JP so I am wondering do I need to get all my documents re certified and this is a worrying me due to time and finding a JP

That's a bit of an unusual request because DIBP usually accept colour scans of original documents without certification. If a doctor was acceptable to certify documents for the skills assessment authority, that should have been acceptable if those are the documents they want to see.

Have you asked what kind of certification they will accept? If they'll only accept "Any person or agency recognised by the law of the country in which you live", you can use a JP, a solicitor, it can be done at some police stations, Australian immigration offices all have people who can certify documents and I think that in the UK, you can also have it done at the local courthouse. It can be exprensive in the UK to have documents certified so only do what they want. If you're not sure exactly what they want, ask first.

For DIBP purposes, you need an ACPO Police Certificate. PCCs are only valid for 12 months so even if that's what you already have, it will probably be out of date or close to that. Also, the date by which you must enter Australia for the first time is calculated as 12 months from the date of your first PCC or medical so even if you have the right document and it's still valid, you could end up with only a very short time in which to get here. Best to get a new one.

Hi thanks for your help I will remind them he has a valid UK passport and hopefully then that will be excepted. Sorry I did not make it clear I have a valid skills assessment when I submitted all the documents for that they had to be certified and I used a doctor to do this. Now for the visa I am being asked to submit documents that I had to submit for skills assessment eg passport and they want it certified although it doesn't look like I can use a doctor I can only find it being accepted if it is certified by a JP so I am wondering do I need to get all my documents re certified and this is a worrying me due to time and finding a JP

If it helps, our JP resides at the local police headquarters, took me a 5 minute trip in to have my skills assessment stuff certified. You can find a list of lical JP's online

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ozmaniac

I am also at the stage of applying for a visa (190) and the DIBP state in their literature that all documents must be certified by a 'Person recognised by law in your country'. They do not say who this is or give a list as did the skills assessment agency. I think I will be emailing DIBP to clarify and can feed back onto here, but any comments welcome in the meantime. I used a Police Constable for the skills assessment.

Thank you

Jo

I know that DIBP say in their document checklists that documents need to be certified but if you have the originals to scan and upload, certification is not required.

Think about it... When you have a document certified, the certifier (is that a word?) doesn't check the bona fides of the document. All they do is certifiy that a copy is a true copy of the original - the original could be a complete fake and they would still certify the copy because all they're certifying is that is is a true copy. If you then scan and upload that certified copy, it is a further generation removed from the original so a scan directly from the original must be better. It's a different matter altogether if you're sending paper documents. In that case, a ceritifed copy is the only way to avoid sending irreplacable originals but for electronic transmission, colour scans of originals are the way to go.

Hi Jobee,

I had the same thing saying things needed to be certified whilat I was waiting for our police checks, I just scanned in a coloured copy of passports for another section, our case officer then wrote back saying all documents had been received the only thing outstanding was the police check so am assuming they have accepted this as they have not yet asked for a certified copy, I did write to them asking for clarity, whether this was enough or did they need anything else I am yet to have a reply which is a bit frustrating as it was 15 days ago I wrote to them. If and when I hear anymore I will update you but I was adviced by others to just uploaded colour scanned image which I have done and then I will wait to see what comes back.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Archived