"Self-Employed" for TRA

PomCop

Good morning all

Just a question about TRA Skills Assessment.

Here in the UK I am a self-employed industrial roofer and cladder which falls under the Australian term of Roof Plumber.

I am self-employed but I am a not a business owner, nor do I have clients or provide materials etc etc. basically, I sub-contract to contractors who provide all the above, so in effect, it's basically just a normal employment just slightly different for tax purposes.

Last year, when I contacted TRA, I seem to remember them saying that they consider people in situations like me to be "employed" for the purpose of the application form, but to just evidence everything and make sure I explain it in my personal statement.

Has anyone else been in the same boat and if so, what was your way around it?

Also, on the application form it asks what your "Occupation" is with your employer. Now do I put the UK job title ie "Industrial Roofer and Cladder" or do I put down (to save confusion for them) "Roof Plumber" ?

Thanks

Hi

i was in the same position as you as a self-employed roof tiler working for firms.

what I did for the TRA was to send 5 years of books & tax receipt from the tax office if you contact them they will send statement to show how much tax you have paid to prove you were working these went back 5 yrs plus reference from who I was working for.

hope this helps

Hi

i was in the same position as you as a self-employed roof tiler working for firms.

what I did for the TRA was to send 5 years of books & tax receipt from the tax office if you contact them they will send statement to show how much tax you have paid to prove you were working these went back 5 yrs plus reference from who I was working for.

hope this helps

Thank you!

Have you now passed your skills assessment and got your visa?

Good morning all

Just a question about TRA Skills Assessment.

Here in the UK I am a self-employed industrial roofer and cladder which falls under the Australian term of Roof Plumber.

I am self-employed but I am a not a business owner, nor do I have clients or provide materials etc etc. basically, I sub-contract to contractors who provide all the above, so in effect, it's basically just a normal employment just slightly different for tax purposes.

Last year, when I contacted TRA, I seem to remember them saying that they consider people in situations like me to be "employed" for the purpose of the application form, but to just evidence everything and make sure I explain it in my personal statement.

Has anyone else been in the same boat and if so, what was your way around it?

Also, on the application form it asks what your "Occupation" is with your employer. Now do I put the UK job title ie "Industrial Roofer and Cladder" or do I put down (to save confusion for them) "Roof Plumber" ?

Thanks

I have been worrying about this myself. My oh is a painter and decorator and has been in the same position as you. He had worked for lots of individual people over the years some times fir weeks on ends or just a couple of days .

Archived