5 points missing for 189 Skilled Migration

Henrin

Hi! I am an IT-professional looking to reach out for the 189 Skilled visa with 263111 (Computer Network and Systems Engineer) of the ANZSCO Code. I do have an assessment ready from ACS with 10 years of experience and my qualification was assessed as AQF diploma. Taking consideration my age, this would take me to total of 55 points (Age 20, Work Experience 15, Qualification 10). I have completed IELTS test with an overall score of 8, however reading and writing components were 6.5 (I speak English as my second language :/) so I did not gain any additional points from the test. So I still need 5 points to make it to 60 for putting my EOI in.

I spent 13 months in Australia (12months with Work and Holiday, and 1 month with a tourist visa) and I worked in the IT-industry from November 2013 until October 2014. This experience was not submitted to the ACS assessment as the assessment was done before. How strict is the Immigration with the numbers, I know that this will add up 11 months of Australian experience, not 12 which would definitely give me the needed 5 points... Or could I qualify for "professional year in Australia" and gain 5 points that way? Or do you think my best bet is just to re-do IELTS and try to score better points?

Thanks for your help/opinions!

-Henri-

If I was you I would pay for some tutoring for the IELTS and re-sit it but to go from a 6.5 to an 8 you will no doubt require the skills of a tutor. It's certainly the quickest way to get the points you are looking for.

Thanks, I think I might just do that... I would actually only need to go from 6.5 -> 7.0 to gain 10 points of the test. It would take me to 65 points overall.

I spent 13 months in Australia (12months with Work and Holiday, and 1 month with a tourist visa) and I worked in the IT-industry from November 2013 until October 2014. This experience was not submitted to the ACS assessment as the assessment was done before. How strict is the Immigration with the numbers, I know that this will add up 11 months of Australian experience, not 12 which would definitely give me the needed 5 points...

Very strict. If you have not worked for 12 month in Australia you will not get theses points.

Or could I qualify for "professional year in Australia" and gain 5 points that way?

A professional year is 12 months and is undertaken through specified professional bodies. Working in your occupation is not a professional year.

Or do you think my best bet is just to re-do IELTS and try to score better points?

Based on what you have posted, your best option. You should consider doing an IELTS preparation course as you may be losing points on small procedural issues rather that language ability.

• 1 month later...

Wohoo! I did the test again and received the results today. I didn't do any preparation courses but read some 10 minutes of instructions for the Writing section and had now raised the points in writing from 6.5 to 7.0 which is enough! Here we come EOI.

Archived