Bridging Visa -- Worth the risk?

NickJB

Hey folks,

im planning to apply for de facto visa in April, but my current visa expires in October. Given the average processing time supposedly at 12 months, it seems I might need a bridging visa. However, I just read on the immi website that if you get a bridging visa but your main visa application gets rejected, you "might not be allowed to re-enter Australia for 3 years"

Has anybody else seen this, or been through this situation?

I'm terrified of being separated from my partner, as we are planning a family and settling into a new life together.

That situation would only arise if the visa application was rejected because you had broken the rules in some way. If you lodge an application with genuine evidence and documentation, you might lose your very expensive VAC if it's denied but there would be nothing to stop you from making another visa application whenever you meet the requirements for that visa. If you can't do that before your BV expires, you would have to leave the country but you wouldn't be banned for 3 years from making another application. Bottom line, make sure you meet all of the requirtements for the Partner visa and only provide genuine evidence and you're unlikely to have a problem.

That situation would only arise if the visa application was rejected because you had broken the rules in some way. If you lodge an application with genuine evidence and documentation, you might lose your very expensive VAC if it's denied but there would be nothing to stop you from making another visa application whenever you meet the requirements for that visa. If you can't do that before your BV expires, you would have to leave the country but you wouldn't be banned for 3 years from making another application. Bottom line, make sure you meet all of the requirtements for the Partner visa and only provide genuine evidence and you're unlikely to have a problem.

Thanks Ozmaniac, that's reassuring to know. Just out of interest, how do you find this information? I couldn't see anything like this on the gov website!

That's a bit like trying to prove a negative because you don't get exclusions just because an application was denied while you held Bridging Visa A which was granted when you applied for a Partner visa. The following is the best evidence I can provide.

https://www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/compliance/community-status-resolution/re-entry-bans-fact-sheet.htm

Do you have a link to where you saw the info that worried you?

That's a bit like trying to prove a negative because you don't get exclusions just because an application was denied while you held Bridging Visa A which was granted when you applied for a Partner visa. The following is the best evidence I can provide.

https://www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/compliance/community-status-resolution/re-entry-bans-fact-sheet.htm

Do you have a link to where you saw the info that worried you?

Ah OK, that makes more sense now. I just went back to the bridging visa page (http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/010.aspx -- under "why do I need a bridging visa sub heading) and it looks like I didn't read it properly...

"if your substantive visa application is refused, and you leave Australia, and you later apply for another visa outside Australia you might not be able to be granted another visa for three years after you leave Australia."

So, unlikely that chain of events would happen in my case...