What are our chances?

bobbychips11

Hi all,

Our situation in brief. My parter is a coded Welder with 17 years experience, he'll be 35 in April. He worked in Oz around 5/6 years ago in the mines. We have one child together, now 3, and I have a child from a previous relationship who'll be 12 in March. I'm 36 with no qualifications to speak of but have 13 years experience as a secretary in a solicitors.

We started the application process for a Visa to move to Oz back in 2013, in the hope we could all go out on my partner's Visa (189). Because of his age, we were conscious that he may only just make the points required, and with money being tight, we decided not to go any further with the application despite already paying some £800 towards it.

We're now wishing we'd gone for it and now considering starting up the process again so, I'd basically like to know in a nut shell (if that's at all possible), what are our chances? Has anyone been in a similar situation etc...?

Thank you very much in advance

Hi all,

Our situation in brief. My parter is a coded Welder with 17 years experience, he'll be 35 in April. He worked in Oz around 5/6 years ago in the mines. We have one child together, now 3, and I have a child from a previous relationship who'll be 12 in March. I'm 36 with no qualifications to speak of but have 13 years experience as a secretary in a solicitors.

We started the application process for a Visa to move to Oz back in 2013, in the hope we could all go out on my partner's Visa (189). Because of his age, we were conscious that he may only just make the points required, and with money being tight, we decided not to go any further with the application despite already paying some £800 towards it.

We're now wishing we'd gone for it and now considering starting up the process again so, I'd basically like to know in a nut shell (if that's at all possible), what are our chances? Has anyone been in a similar situation etc...?

Thank you very much in advance

I would say check out the DIBP website and see what you get points for as without knowing your full situation it would be hard to say if you would get enough points.

One thing I would say though is the most important issue to consider first is your child from a previous relationship as this can often be the biggest stumbling block. Assuming the second parent is still alive you need written consent from them that you have permission to take them abroad. I would work that out as a priority as I have seen far too many cases of parents withdrawing consent and ending up in court.

I would say check out the DIBP website and see what you get points for as without knowing your full situation it would be hard to say if you would get enough points.

One thing I would say though is the most important issue to consider first is your child from a previous relationship as this can often be the biggest stumbling block. Assuming the second parent is still alive you need written consent from them that you have permission to take them abroad. I would work that out as a priority as I have seen far too many cases of parents withdrawing consent and ending up in court.

I agree, getting her father's permission would definitely be the first priority as without it the whole application would be pointless and a waste of money.

Will take a look at the DIBP website, thank you

Check if coded welder is on the SOL or CSOL.

Could your partner pass a skills assessment (assuming above is true).

How many years skilled employment does your partner have? (not the same as their total years experience)

I believe he's a SOL with 17 years actual employment since he left his apprenticeship. His employer when he worked in Oz also remembers him and has said he would offer him a job again, providing there's jobs available if/when we eventually got over there.

Archived