Sky News in Oz

Guest Missiemo

Guest Missiemo

I was watching Sky news this morning and the doom and gloom was enough to put me back on a plane home

1. Worst Drought in history across Australia

2. Bush fires over parts of Victoria, some not far from us In Gippsland

3. Farmers selling up as crops not growing due to drought.

4. Cost of food to raise due to farmers crops not growing.

5. Interest Rates likely to raise - causing depression on housing market - which will also cause a drop in Building Trades positions.

And this was supposed to be the land of dreams :(

Hi Missemo,

Thats one thing that really annoys me here is the crap news and how inward looking it is!

War in Iraq rarely mentioned, North Koreas explosion given a couple of lines and that was it! As you say if it ain't happening in Oz then its not news worthy - with the exception of the SBS news off course :D

Well when I first joined here I kept telling people what it's really like, but I fear no-one really listened :(

I only ever watch SBS or ABC because I have a brain and like to use it. You'll get a much more worldly view on those cannels. Channel nine had one program worth watching which was the Sunday program, but they've even dumbed that down now. :(

As for the drought/heat if what they say is true and it will hotter than last summer, then anyone who is here for their first summer is in for a real shock as I can't imagine a hotter one (it reached 120f even in Eastern and northern Sydney, Gawd knows what it was out west :shock: )

Guest scott&lisa

Hi Mo,

Everywhere in the world has it's problems - and if you went back to the UK you would soon be reminded of the problems they have there. No matter where we are I think we all have a slight "the grass is greener" view of somewhere else!! (if that makes sense? sorry if it doesn't :? )

Take care

Lisa :)

Hi Mo

Sorry to hear about your feelings this morning. I read your post 630 this morning as I was checking for the "Big" email as our visa should be here any day!!! went for my jog and mulled over it.

I am grateful that you share your feelings and personally I will use it as knowledge gained.

It will be a culture shock, different lifestyle and completely different terrain to the UK.

I expect bush fires, the climate change, water shortage and ups and downs with interest rates etc...

But we've got to give it a go.

Take care all

Al :wink:

I will have been here ten years come November... I rarely watch TV news on 7, 9 or 10. It is invariably unadulterated crappy sensationalism.

ABC news is still worth watching. SBS news is certainly worth watching.

As to the current news... I am still better of here than in the UK...

I remember headlines of race riots in Toxteth and broadwater farm... NHS waiting lists... water restrictions in the home counties... invasions of illegal immigrants through the channel tunnel, IRA attrocities, ..all sorts of things.

I remember gloomy long winters and short, wet summers...

I remember strikes and unemployment, and the endless misery that was Coronation Street and Eastenders...

Right now, here in Victoria...life is just the bubbles... We get seasons...yes, summer, suthumn, winer and spring... we get long sunny days, we still have a mortgage interst rate less than I ever paid in the UK (I know these things fluctuate)... and I live in a bigger, nicer house than I could ever have afforded in the UK...

I have been back in the UK on trips 5 times in the last six years, and after a couple of weeks there I am invariably happy to be coming "home" (And I could never have afforded 5 trips in six years UK to Oz!!!!)

Best move I ever made.....

....Go Aussie Go! 8)

Well I'm not going to argue with you Fraser (I've been here nearly 18yrs btw) . If you're happy great, but don't be running my country down and don't be filling people's heads with 'everything is wonderful here in Oz' because you and I know that's not the case. As for mortgage interest rates, you need to have closer look.

Well I'm not going to argue with you Fraser (I've been here nearly 18yrs btw) . If you're happy great, but don't be running my country down and don't be filling people's heads with 'everything is wonderful here in Oz' because you and I know that's not the case. As for mortgage interest rates, you need to have closer look.

Hi Ian,

I know and remember all of the reasons a left the UK to seek a better life out here. I know that I was paying around 11.5% on a mortgage back then. I am on about 7% now.

I am sure if I went back to the UK I could earn more money, but I don't think it would go as far.

Nothing is ever perfect, and everyone will have different preferences, aims, views etc. My preference right now is here.

Sure I miss things about the UK... The dear old BBC, decent potato crisps (the ones here are very oily), proper Christmases...

A guy I worked beside (ex pat Pom) stayed 5 years and then went back. But I think those who go back are still very much in the minority.

The fist two years are certainly the hardest for any new migrant... getting used to differences in how things are done...starting a home from scratch, making new friends and missing old ones...

....but on balance... 8)

....and don't be filling people's heads with 'everything is wonderful here in Oz' because you and I know that's not the case.

Interesting... I hadn't expected such a forceful response, and it actually got me thinking about the things here that are not so good. Maybe we need to air them for the benefit of the site.

I will start a new topic.

Guest Missiemo

Blimey I was only stating what Sky news was reporting, what a response, I fully appreciate I have only been here four months and will endouver to give it longer, and I do agree that the Uk also have there problems, just having one of those days when England seems so far away.

Mo

:(

Archived