Dogs and Stress

JULIE RYCROFT

Hi, I collected my dogs from quarantine last week. I was very anxious the whole time they were away from me.The youngest dog had separation anxiety especially when away from myself.I phoned quarantine whilst my dogs were there, they reported that both my dogs were friendly,eating well and playful, they said staff play with the dogs and the amount of exercise they give them was dependent on size and breed.We uses a pet shipping company to collect them from Eastern Creek and have them flown up to Brisbane.

Both dogs had lost weight, but I had fattened them both up prior to leaving the UK by atleast 1kg as I anticipated that would happen,they were very excited to see us, and didn,t seem to have been too upset by their time away from us, they settled well within a couple of days. My oldest dog hates loud noises, he hides from thunder, door slams etc, My young dog runs a mile if someone sneezes : )))) Please try not to worry too much, I was so anxious I felt ill, but as soon as I saw them I knew they were fine, they are well cared for when not with us.

Biff Duffield, a rescue collie from Macclesfield (You'll find him on Facebook, no really, you will) joined us in 2011. Back then you had to spend 30 days in solitary . He's a nervous dog, the trip was not uneventful.

1) Pet shipping company brought crate that was too small - emergency wooden crate located at the last minute

2) Flight from Manchester to London, Biff escaped. New crate had to be ordered. Mean while we tracked a flight over that he wasn't on

3) Qantas went on strike - Biff had 5 days at Heathrow Animal Center

4) Perth quarantine was either full or closed so Biff ended up in Sydney

5) Qantas offered no compensation for the strike delays as he was cargo. They also wanted paying to fly him to Perth

6) People had been tracking his adventures on Facebook and ganged up on Qantas they funded the full trip. Biff is now friends on Facebook with their service rep.

7) Biff arrives in Perth at out house in a dog limo. He came straight to me (I'd not seen him for 6 months as I came ahead of the family).

8) Settled within the day and is currently giving me the "take me to Whitfords Dog Beach" look...

Conclusion, I'm sure he hated the flight but no long term impact. He has unified the family and this year, he's malting at the right time of year for the first time.

Good luck.