Skills assessment document certification? Accountant / CPA

M005

I've read various threads that have confirmed that for the main visa application (189 in my case), it is sufficient to submit colour scanned copies of original documents without the need to get them certified.

Does this also apply for the skills assessment?

I am an accountant and will be applying for my CIMA qualification to gain me the Australian CPA designation, which will include a migration skills assessment.

Hi,

I emailed TRA who emailed me back in a day.

Why not email them and ask if you cant find it on their website. I have emailed and callled a few deartments in DIAC and also State Immi offices and TRA and all have been very helpful.

Thanks Jem

Hi Jem

Thanks for the reply, I have been emailing them but they don't answer my questions, just keep sending me a copy & paste from their website which doesn't provide the information, hence me emailing them!

I'll have to call their London office as you suggest & hopefully get answers that way.

Cheers

Mark

On the application form it gives an in depth description of what a certified document is and how to get one. It also states that photocopies or faxes don't count as certified documents. On that basis, it would seem that colour photocopies are not sufficient :(

That being said, I haven't applied myself so hopefully someone else will be along with a more definitive answer. I'd be interested to know the outcome :)

I've read various threads that have confirmed that for the main visa application (189 in my case), it is sufficient to submit colour scanned copies of original documents without the need to get them certified.

Does this also apply for the skills assessment?

I am an accountant and will be applying for my CIMA qualification to gain me the Australian CPA designation, which will include a migration skills assessment.

It only applies for skills assessment if the assessment authority says that colour scans of originals are acceptable. Each authority makes its own rules which are can be completely different from the DIBP rules. It's obvious from CPA's instructions about documents that if you are making a paper application, anything you send must be certified. It must however be said that if you're applying online and attaching documents online, it would be absolutely pointless to have anything other than copies certified prior to scanning. Given that you can only get copies certified if you have the original for the 'certifier' to check them against, why wouldn't you just scan the original and send that scan? That's why DIBP accepts uncertified colour scans of originals for online applications.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean when you say 'will be applying for my CIMA qualification to gain me the Australian CPA designation, which will include a migration skills assessment'. That sounds like you think that a skills assessment will result automatically from a CIMA qualification gaining you an Australian CPA designation. Apologies if I've misunderstood but you can only get a skills assessment that is acceptable to DIBP directly from one of the 3 assessment authorities for accountants and you must apply specifically for that assessment (which will include meeting English language requirements even if you are a UK passport holder). CPA is one of the 3 authorities but having a CPA designation isn't enough to get a skills assessment.

Thanks for the replies all, I called their London office yesterday and it was confirmed that they will accept scans for the CPA application but want hard copies for the migration assessment; and that everything should be certified.

Ozmaniac - you are right that they are two separate processes, however the CPA MRA process includes a free skills migration assessment if required, with additional documents requiring submitting, including my academic English test results. Test taken last weekend, results should arrive on the 20th.

Good luck with your results.

These are online now...just got mine. Phew, so relieved!

I am in the same position and about to send of for my CPA skills assessment.

I was also confused about the best order to do things in.

I now know I need a skills assessment, which i can get for free if I also convert CIMA to CPA, but what I can't figure out is if that will be the cheapest way to do it.

By the time the VISA is processed / accepted etc, I could have paid almost a years subscription fees for nothing if i convert to CPA now.

What do you think?

Yep, just logged on for mine; 8.5 overall so happy.

The guy at the CPA office in London was very helpful; cheapest is to apply for the MRA & submit the skills assessment form at the same time, he said to send it all to him in London & he will check & put in their internal post down to Melbourne .

What are your timescales for moving & what areas are you looking at to live?

Congrats!

Mine was similar.

Really thought I had screwed up the speaking test, so am just so relieved to have that bit over & done with.

We were really hoping to be there by Oct / Nov this year, but I guess it depends on how long the whole process takes.

I have read online that from being invited to apply for the VISA to being accepted can take 10 months, but a guy at a seminar at the weekend said it could be as little as 5, so there is still hope.

We are looking to move to Melbourne.

How about you?

Archived