Visiting UK with babies born in Oz - passport dilemma

libbysmum

Hi

Since making the move over we have had 2 babies who obviously weren't on our initial application and don't have Visas

We are permanent residents so both babies will be automatic citizens and entitled to Aussie passports.

If we go ahead and get them their Aussie passports is it going to be a bit of a nightmare at UK immigration, I mean which queue do we head for? we have british, the babies would have Aussie?

We could get their british passports but then what happens returning to Oz as they wont have a visa in this passport.

We could go overboard and get both passports, but the expense would be enormous especially as our older 2 need to have their passports renewed too, and can you even enter on one passport and leave on another, would that even work with booking plane tickets?

Confused.com

They will need Australian passports to leave and return to Australia. You can take them with you through the British/EU queue. They would only need British passports if you want to stay in the UK for longer than 6 months. If you ahve two passports, you should enter and leave each country on the passport for that country.

You have to get the Aussie one for the kids born here as you need an Australian passport to enter and leave Australia. They cannot travel outside the country without one. They might need a visa in their Aust one though in order to get into Britain (I am not 100% sure so maybe visit a travel agent just to ask the question).

Arriving in Britain you can chose which queue to go through as all you have to do is explain to the immigration officer that you weren't sure given the adults have British passports and the children Australian - they are generally pretty understanding in circumstances like that (we did something in reverse when moving to Aust as the kids had Aust passports by descent, I had my Aussie one and my partner had his British one - we went through the "non Aust" passport line and there were no issues about us all having Aust passports).

If you plan on doing trips back and forth a fair bit in the next five years (I think that is how long a child passport is valid for) then I would definitely suggest getting kids both passports as it will make life a lot easier. Yes it is a large outlay initially but it makes things easier in the long run.

Australian immigration is easier than uk... UK- my hubby is Australian and I always take the (3) kids with me (UK passports) and he goes thru non eu passports and regularly gets stopped by police questioning his reasons for travel... then they realise we together and they mumble and finish up...

Australia we go thru australian passport holders and their families together no problems..

As they are babies, I would contact immigration at airports and ask questions as to which queue you need to go in. also will need landing cards if on australian passport to come into uk :). need to travel on same passport, not swapping throughout journey...

Archived