Early Years Teaching advice

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to read this.....

I have a BA Primary Education with QTS degree (3 year course). I realise that I have to have another university year in order to meet the requirements to teach in Australia. I have 3 years work experience (as a Primary teacher) although I have recently had time out to look after my young family.

I was wondering if I should do a PGCE in Early Years or a Masters in Early Years ( I wish to work in Early Years regardless) ? Do any teachers (or anyone!) know if one of these is favoured or indeed required more than the other? I would happily do the PGCE however I wonder if I will be merely repeating my degree even though the QTS part isn't recognised in Australia. Hope all of this makes sense...it's late here!!

Any advice would be very very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there and thanks for taking the time to read this.....

I have a BA Primary Education with QTS degree (3 year course). I realise that I have to have another university year in order to meet the requirements to teach in Australia. I have 3 years work experience (as a Primary teacher) although I have recently had time out to look after my young family.

I was wondering if I should do a PGCE in Early Years or a Masters in Early Years ( I wish to work in Early Years regardless) ? Do any teachers (or anyone!) know if one of these is favoured or indeed required more than the other? I would happily do the PGCE however I wonder if I will be merely repeating my degree even though the QTS part isn't recognised in Australia. Hope all of this makes sense...it's late here!!

Any advice would be very very much appreciated.

Hi

When you say work in Early Years do you mean before they start school? If you do then your 3 year degree will mean that you will be assessed to meet the requirements to be an Early Childhood Teacher. You can work in child care centres or preschools. They are very much in demand here (well they are in Sydney). If you mean first year at school (Reception (UK)/Kindergarten (Aus)) then yes you will need 4 years at uni but just as Quoll pointed out, I really dont think you can do initial teacher training again if you already have QTS.

Archived