Erudio Student Loans

flossybeth

• I'm just wondering if anyone else is having any issues with their student loans which were bought by Erudio last year?

I've had 3 student loans since 1994/5/6 and have deferred every year without any trouble. In March last year I received a letter pack from Erudio informing me that my loans were now with them and that I owed them money - as far as I was concerned I had an agreement with the SLC and my deferment was in place until Jan 2015. I emailed explaining my confusion and heard nothing back until April when they said they needed proof of my deferment - so I scanned in my letter from the SLC and I heard nothing until an email in May (after I sent an email confirming that since they hadn't replied I could assume everything was in order) although this email was a standard 21 day reply and I never received anything more until a letter in the post just before Christmas informing me that I had been in arrears since June and owed them almost 800 pounds.

I've disputed this with them for over a month now and today they have responded and said that the letter I had from the SLC is "not an agreement stating your account is deferred". The letter that I scanned and sent was the only thing I had from the SLC and worked fine for them so why are Eruido not acknowledging it as a deferment letter?

I also had to point out that I had received no deferment forms from themselves (ever!) but for the coming 12 months so they did email me a copy of those to print off and return, which I did by recorded delivery, but again I've had no acknowledgment of these forms.

Because I now live in Australia my deferment with the SLC has been issued under an Overseas Income Contingent (which is perhaps why Erudio are choosing to be obtuse and not recognise it as deferment - even though the forms I have filled in and sent back to the SLC have always been their standard deferment forms) and the only phone number they are prepared to give is their 0845 number which I'm not prepared to ring from here.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Do you actually have to pay it at all? I thought the UK system was modeled on the Aussie one. I went to uni in Australia, the day i graduated moved to UK for ten years, never paid a cent in that time, when I got back to Australia money started being deducted from my wage to pay it.. Is it not the same? What can they do from the other side of world to make you pay it?

No, the UK loans have to be deferred every year (if your income is under the threshold) until the loan expires (either 20 years or as the loan holder turns 50). I suspect that since the first lot of student loans are nearing their 20 year cut-off this new company Erudio who bought the loans from the Student Loan Company (which was government owned) last year they are pushing to create arrears for accounts that will then mean they are in breach of contract and can't then be written off.