Visa 143

Charlie m

Hi all happy new year just returned from adelaide called in at immi office ask if we could go to oz on 600 visitor visa 12months while there apply for 143visa bridging visa kicks in after 12months he said yes that's ok but is it for over 65s. Only or could we do it that way thanks :cool::cool::cool:

Bridging visas are only granted when a visa application is lodged onshore.

You can only apply for an onshore Parent or Contributory Parent visa if the main applicant is of an age that is eligible for an Australian Age Pension i.e. at least 65 if you are male or a female born before 1949.

The only Parent visas you can apply for onshore are Aged Parent (Permanent) (Subclass 804), Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 864) or Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 884).

A 143 cannot be applied for onshore.

Actually, just a technicality, you can lodge your 143 application while still in Australia, but you will not get a bridging visa when your original visitor visa ends and you will need to be offshore when your visa is granted. You can still visit Australia on a visitor visa while waiting for the 143 to be processed.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the correction.

Thanks chaps so am I right in thinking we could go to oz on a 600visa then straight away apply for a 143 visa if it has not been granted within 12moths we apply for 3month visa hoping 143will be granted within the 3month then go offshore when visa is granted or is this to simple :cool:

The chances of the 143 being granted in 12m are nil according to current timelines so I wouldn't hedge bets on that. Instead, you have to try to get the timing right in order to only have to leave again for visa grant.

i came over at the 11 month mark & am just about to leave for grant after being here 8 months for instance.

Thanks chaps so am I right in thinking we could go to oz on a 600visa then straight away apply for a 143 visa if it has not been granted within 12moths we apply for 3month visa hoping 143will be granted within the 3month then go offshore when visa is granted or is this to simple :cool:

Why would you do it that way? You won't get a 143 within 12 months and nor will you be able to return to Australia on another Visitor visa immediately after having spent 12 months in the country - no more than 12 months in any 18 month period is the rule and you won't get around that. You would be much better to apply for your 143 now, then forget about coming on a 600 for the best part of 12 months. That way, you will only need to leave the country once for the 143 grant itself.

Archived