Contributory Parent Visa question

Tammyo

I obtained my Contributory Parent Visa and paid for the second instalment. I emigrated to Australia and was there for 7 months and had to return home due to a family illness. I am now nearly ready to go back after one year. Does anyone know if I might expect a problem entering back into Australia after more than a year away. My visa says I am free to come and go but I just need to know if that means for an extended period of time. When I left they asked me how long I was going for and I said six months. I had not expected to be away for so long.

As long as your visa is still valid, you won't have any problem re-entering Australia even if you have stayed away for a year or even longer.

Your visa has the right of re-entry to Australia until its expiry date which is 5 years from the date of grant. During the 5 years, you can stay away for as long as you wish. If you wish to enter Australia after the expiry of your right of re-entry, you will need a Resident Return visa. You won't need one this time as your visa will still be valid when you return.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx Resident Return visa

As long as your visa is still valid, you won't have any problem re-entering Australia even if you have stayed away for a year or even longer.

Your visa has the right of re-entry to Australia until its expiry date which is 5 years from the date of grant. During the 5 years, you can stay away for as long as you wish. If you wish to enter Australia after the expiry of your right of re-entry, you will need a Resident Return visa. You won't need one this time as your visa will still be valid when you return.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx Resident Return visa

My daughter was concerned. She thought it was from the date of issue of the first visa 173. The 143 Visa was issued in Feb 2013. I arrived there in June 2013 and had to leave in January 2014.

She visioned me arriving in Australia again and not being allowed in. Thank you for your help.

I see there is no date for a "Must not enter after". It does say that the holder is allowed to travel in and out of Australia as a permanent resident for a period of five years from the date it was granted. I know when I left Australia the passport officer asked where the 143 visa was in my passport and I told them I was told it was not required in the passport as in the visa letter it said it was now monitored by the modern electronic visa system. He told me when I returned to make sure I had the letter with me.

I think I will go to the immigration office and ask for a visa to be placed in the passport. I think I will feel a wee bit safer when I return then even though it isn't supposed to be needed.

You don't need a visa stamp or label in your passport for immigration purposes - Australia has had electronic visas for years and the system works very well. It can however be a problem when you're boarding at small airports that don't have full access to the electronic system and many people also find it to be a good idea to have something in their passport for various reasons after they arrive in Australia e.g. some employers are happier to see a visa in your passport even though they can check your status on the VEVO system. Visa evidencing (stamp/label) used to be free but it will now cost you $150.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/Visa-Labels.aspx

Archived