Is this normal

toNjus

Hi we are just starting out, our migration agent has said that we need to pass an ielts first before we can do anything else towards our Visa. Is this normal as I've seen from other people's time line that they've done bits before doing ielts

thanks x

It would be the first logical step if the skills assessment authority for your occupation has IELTS requirements. It's also a good idea to get it out of the way if you're not from an English speaking country and MUST have IELTS as a basic prerequisite. There could be other reasons but we don't have enough info to know if that could be the case.

We have been told we can apply for a 189 visa to wa. We are from the uk. We need 15 points for age 10 for qualifications 15 experience and English language 20. Oh is a self employed painter and decorator.

Im ok with it, just being a little impatient

As a tradesman from the UK, IELTS is only needed for points test purposes and you could do it now or after you apply for skills assessment or after you have skills assessment for that matter - the only deadline is that you must have the required results before you submit an EOI. 20 points for Superior English isn't easy to get however even for native English speakers and your agent may want you to be able to do the tests two or even more times (as is sometimes needed) without holding up the whole process while you work towards getting the all 8s you need for 20 points.

Perhaps the reason is to make sure that you will meet the pass mark, sitting the IELTS alot cheaper than the skills assessment. Sometimes trades can struggle with the IELTS if they require the full 20 points, as you need 8's in each category have seen people sit it a number of times to achive this.

Thanks for the replies it was just mainly to put my mind at rest that all the info we got was right, also as it's all new to us our heads are buzzing with so much information that we're taking in so again Thanks

Practice, practice, and more practice. I too needed 8 in all four skills, and I still never managed it. Kept failing the written skill by a 1 point, and in one case .5 of a point. The exam is definitely acheivable if you get proper training and study well. Also, keep in mind that when you book your IELTS you will probably have to way 2 to 4 weeks before you can sit the exam (the centres get full quickly). After you've written the exam the results take 2 weeks to be returned to you. If you fail to get the correct marks you have to rebook, I.e wait anither 2 to 4 weeks before you can sit the exam and repeat. The cost of the exam is £145.

Not trying to put you off, simply reiterating the importance of study, tuition, and practice to save you time and money.

Saying that, I've heard people pass it with full flying colours in one attempt.

Good luck.

Archived