Management accountant skills assessment

SupunD

Hi

I am a CIMA associate member and looking to apply for skill migration under management accountant. Currently I have 60 points with 3 years experience. I will be grateful if someone can clarify these questions.

1. Will Applying for CPA add value to the skill migration process or skill assessment via CPA is sufficient?

2. When proving work experience, what documents do I need to provide? After qualifying cima, I undertook full time bachelor's while working a full time job which permits me flexible working hours. Will that be an issue when I claim work experience?

Hi SupunD

Please bear in mind that I went through this process around 4-5 years ago and so may things may have changed since then but below is my understanding of it.

Regarding your first point the skills assessment will be sufficient for migration

However, in light of your second point, the reason that I followed the MRA path was two-fold. In the first instance it gave me a more recognisable qualification within Australia in the early days. CIMA seems to be showing up more and more in adverts here in WA. I have since relinquished my CPA as it did not seem to add value on terms of job searching over and above CIMA. Secondly, by applying for the MRA, I only had to produce a letter of good standing from CIMA in order to obtain my CPA membership. By virtue of the fact that I was given my membership, CPA then provided a positive skills assessment automatically. They could hardly admit me to membership and then not give me a positive skills assessment.

The cost of the MRA was slightly more than the cost of the skills assessment but was quicker and a less onerous process.

The CPA have an office in London and they are a very helpful group if you want to contact them to discuss.

Cheers

Si

I submitted my skills assessment to CPA in December, still waiting to hear back as I had to send in additional documents which have not arrived yet :-(

I am CIMA qualified but not getting any work experience verified as I do not have an post-qualification experience yet - so can't help you with the documents you need for that. The people in London CPA office are really helpful if you do go in there.

I wasn't sure whether to apply for the MRA either, but for now I have opted not to as from research I had done a lot of people were saying it was not worth it as they found they didn't need it and didn't want to pay 2 lots of membership fees....

Good luck!

Archived