190 Visa - 2 year requirement (Professional advice needed)

Vikki81

Dear all,

thank you for all your support up until this time. We have finally decided that general skilled migration is the best way of entry for my partner. Unfortunately his occupation isn't on the NSW state occupation list so we will be applying through QLD. Iv'e gone through a lot of forums on this site that are similar to my question but haven't been able to find a straight forward answer. My question is this:

Is the 2 year requirement to live in a certain state compulsory - as in a legal requirement or is it a moral obligation. I can move to QLD for a year max, but we would have a better life here in NSW. Will there be consequences if he moves to NSW without fulfilling the 2 year obligation - for example is there a possibility his visa may be cancelled? [ Ive had a look at cancellation powers - and only found one for not following visa conditions - this one however is not a condition just obligation ]

I appreciate all the advice given on this site - it has been very helpful.

The 2 year obligation is said to be a moral agreement, but if you never had no intention of living in the state before you actually applied this could be seen as giving false information or misleading on your application and could led to a cancellation of all visas on the initial application.

majority of people who have moved States or settled elsewhere were due to circumstances after visa granted and validated, ie offered job else where.

Archived