Best area to live Gold Coast

Dexterdog

Hi all - new to pomsinoz and will soon be new to the Gold Coast. Wondering which areas people would recommend to live for forty something couple, no kids, one dog, like to eat out, enjoy a beer or two, access to nice cafés etc. also wondering - beach vs hinterland?? Seems both have their charms and looking for some local recommendations please. Can't wait to get out there - especially as weather in Glasgow is so miserable right now...

thanks x

I think you would like Mudgeeraba, Tallebudgerra , Currumbin waters or valley etc, far enough away to make you think your worlds apart but really only a short drive to beaches and touristy things.

On saying that Varsity Lakes may give you the cafe, eating out options on your doorstep, just depends if its too 'busy' for you.

Cal x

Yes we noticed that. Can't beat a good pub. Have considered mount tambourine but not sure if it's just too far from the beach? Part of me thinks Moving to oz is all about the beach lifestyle, but looking at properties in the hinterland, it looks pretty nice there too and offers a different lifestyle. Nhs and goes out in about a month and is going to explore both beach and hinterland before I come out in April. I'll check out the areas the other guys suggested too. Thanks x

We are at the far side of Tamborine to the GC and its the best of both worlds. Hubby works in Nerang and commutes daily so its not that far, we are also only 45 / 50 mins into Brisbane city so a trip to Southbank with the kids isnt difficult either, as i say ,best of both worlds.

Have a look around Coomera, Maudsland etc which are GC side of Tamborine.

Cal x

Thanks calNgary. Will keep checking out those areas. So many questions about everything. Can't believe we are finally in last stages of getting to Oz. house sold at this end so just the removal, dog export, car sale, etc etc to get done!!

Can I ask- have you bought a house out there? Is it fairly straightforward for expat to do so? We are on 457 visa & husband on 4 year contract. I'll be working also. Cheers x

Congrats on the house sale, that must be a big relief for you. We bought 6 mths after arriving,lol it just didnt feel like 'home' when living in a rental and i think getting our own place helped us settle in a bit more, especially if you have younger kids like we did.The whole process is easy and very quick compared to uk house purchases.

We were on PR though, i believe its a bit different if on sponsorship,i would be trying to get PR as soon as you can as your less 'tied down' with quite a few different things.

Lots of luck with the move and feel free to fire away with any questions, we will all do our best to help.

Cal x

Yeah getting house sold made it feel more real. What's PR. - permanent residence? Think we have to be there a whole before going for that? Another question! How do we get bank accounts etc open when we don't yet have Aussie address? Partner getting a rented place for a month with work when he goes out. Do we need to wait till he's there before opening bank accounts etc? Sorry I know this started as best place to live thread!! Xx

You can open the account on line before you come, this way you can start paying money into it. You can't withdraw until the account is activated, which hubby can do by going into a branch when he arrives. We used our UK address and changed it when we went in to activate (used the temp accommodation address). We used ANZ but there are few big names to choose from.

Yes PR is permanent residency, im so out of touch with visa's but i think after a certain period your employer can nominate you for PR.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Archived