Keeping on UK Mobile / Sim - cheapest solution/network?

rossco2810

I am emigrating next month & by chance my monthly mobile contract is due for renewal in March. I would like to keep the phone active (certainly for a few months) as I work for a small family business and want to have a bit of 'overlap' for Clients after I leave the business.

Does anyone have experience of the cheapest network for receiving calls in Australia from the UK? I've just checked my network (O2) who are £1.49/min if I switched to PAYG or £0.80 if I stay pay monthly (business pays anyway).

Are there any apps or ways around this with the modern worlds of technology & social media??

I am emigrating next month & by chance my monthly mobile contract is due for renewal in March. I would like to keep the phone active (certainly for a few months) as I work for a small family business and want to have a bit of 'overlap' for Clients after I leave the business.

Does anyone have experience of the cheapest network for receiving calls in Australia from the UK? I've just checked my network (O2) who are £1.49/min if I switched to PAYG or £0.80 if I stay pay monthly (business pays anyway).

Are there any apps or ways around this with the modern worlds of technology & social media??

Sorry I have no experience with Oz networks but I am in the same boat as you regarding coming over with my contract. This is my idea, and I think it is a cracker. I am with Three UK and am on 'The One Plan'. This has all you can eat data, 2000 minutes and 2000 texts and the biggest thing is they have 'Feel At Home' which means I can use this all in Australia like I was in the UK. So until I get settled, I will use this as my primary source of internet and phone. They also allow for tethering so I will use this on my PC too. I need to look into the fine print for how long you can 'feel at home' home for, but I am hoping this will be enough time for me to get a job and get feel for the local telecom scene. It is also a month to month contract so I should be able to cancel with very little problem. Might be an idea for you to switch to them so you can continue to receive and make and receive call until you tie things up.

you can get a sim only with 3 for about £13 a month on a monthly rolling contract.

You can also use it in Australia for up to 3 months at no extra cost, as 3 is owned by the same company that owns Vodaphone in Australia

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home?intid=3main_fah_stc1762 if link does;t work, search Three ' Feel at home'

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Just remember to get your handset unlocked first :)

Ive had a PAYG with O2 for years - in the days before I lived here I would arrive, put £10 on and work my way through it then take the phone with sim back to Aus, as long as I made a text or short call once every 3-4 months then the number stayed active and it never disappeared on me. It takes the second £10 for the benefits to kick in (500MB, silly number of texts) and that's all I ever pay now. You can get a new sim or just change your plan IIRC. You dont need to pay more than the original £10 while you're in Aus, the credit doesnt disappear as long as you make the occasional call.

Get an Aus sim as soon as you arrive, payg is probably easier but be sure your phone is unlocked before you arrive

Archived