Football club looking for players

robfromdublin

Hi all,

My football (soccer) club is looking for players for its first XI and the social sides. We are Kangaroo Point Rovers and play (unsurprisingly) at Kangaroo Point in the park behind the Pineapple Hotel (Raymond Park).

We're a great club for getting to know people and there are a LOT of ex-pats, probably because of our central location. We have spots to fit most standards so if you're keen for a kickaround then join us for some of our pre-season training sessions, starting tonight at 6:45pm. With the weather we've been having there may be a late cancellation so please PM me for any details.

Cheers!

Rob

Just as an update to this, pre-season has started in earnest and we still have a few spots for players. In particular, the women's team is keen to get people on board. The standard for the women's team varies with a few very good players down to outright beginners and the girls are very welcoming. If you're looking for a new sport to run off those mince pies then I think you'll enjoy it!

I won't spam the forum with any more posts so if you're keen then either PM me or go to the website above for info.

• 3 months later...

Hi Lianne,

The season has started and 6 games have been played. My team is full but there are other teams in the club with spaces, depending on your partner's level. If he's keen then get him to jump on the website and get in touch. Link has been removed from the OP but here it is again:

***club website link removed per forum rules***

City (social) teams train on Wed evening, Capital (competitive) teams train on Tue & Thu evenings. The differentiation is more down to commitment levels than ability. There are guys in the social teams who would be good enough to play in the higher teams.

Ceri, the season will be over by October but it's a good time for your boyfriend to arrive. Many clubs will have off-season 5aside comps that are cheap to play in and will help you find a level and a club that suits. Often teams fill up quickly so by arriving before pre-season starts he gives himself every chance to find a spot. I'm not familiar with the Sunny Coast comps but here's a list of clubs and contact details that may be able to help:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-9393-0-0-0&sID=265619

R

Thank you so much for the link I think I have just made my boyfriends year lol it's only thing he has been worrying about, finding a team to play for, not leaving his friends or family, just football.

Glad I could be of help Ceri!

I see that that link was fine but the other one for you was not Lianne (figure that one out; before it was just FB links that weren't allowed. I wasn't told about it either). Lianne I realise this makes things difficult for you but PM me and I can send you the contact details. The club is Kangaroo Point Rovers and you can find the website easily enough by appending '.com.au'

Just a quick question, what football boots would you recommend him to bring, because obviously here in the UK it's wet most of the time?

Thanks

Good question. I brought my UK boots with me but I rarely use them. Maybe once per season and usually during pre-season when it's summer and the ground is more likely to be wet. Usually though, if it's raining it's REALLY raining and the game will be off.

His best bet are 'mouldies' with short studs moulded into the sole of the boot. I would still bring the UK boots as a spare set anyway though, unless baggage allowance is an issue, but he'll find them uncomfortable on hard ground. Also note that I have found that I go through more boots here than I did at home. Not far off one pair per season! I think the hard ground means there's less give and it puts the boots under more strain. I've given up buying expensive ones anyway, and he should invest in some 'Shoo Goo' which is a glue designed to repair boots/shoes. It gets me a bit more time out of mine.

Archived