Any experience of HSBC?

vickyplum

Hi all

Just looking through the banking threads to see who might be a good bet for opening an account with (I'm favouring ING Direct or Citibank at the moment). Thinking logically, I already bank with First Direct, who are run by HSBC. So why not go with HSBC I thought. Does anyone have any experience of HSBC Australia, good or bad?

Thanks!

Vicky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends on what the account is for. If for everyday stuff/local things I would probably look at Commbank or St George.

But definitely give HSBC a look if you need some international services, currency transactions at decent rates, a multi-currency account option with a single account number, instant (and free) transfers between your own accounts in different countries once you have Premier status.

Overall HSBC is the only true, global bank there. Some might say Citi, but they are so inferior in every department I wouldn't know where to start.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AltyMatt

Maybe they have got their act together, but when I migrated 10 years ago they were useless.

Tried setting up a bank account from London & the staff faxed my application forms to Sydney branch. When I arrived in Sydney they acknowledged receipt of forms but insisted I start process from scratch & was treated the same as someone who did not have an existing HSBC account.

Also, they have very few branches in Australia although you can use some ATMs.

I would go with one of the big four Australian banks instead: Westpac, ANZ, CBA, NAB