ODP's in Oz

Nicky2402

Hi,

I've just joined this forum and wanted some advice.

My husband is considering taking a job in Queensland, he's an ENT surgeon and I currently work in Recovery as a Senior ODP. Does Queensland recognise ODP's? The Medical director in Oz, told my husband that I should apply for a job that matches my skill set and not the job title. Has anyone had any success working in Recovery as an ODP in Oz? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well.....as an ODP of 15 years in the British Army I transferred to the Australian Army. ODP's are not recognised here and you are given anaesthetic tech status which does not marry to your skill set in the UK in any way shape or form. I completed my nurse registration via distance ed and returned to work in anaesthetics. I was amazed at how poor theatres are run and how clinically poor standards were. I promptly left and started a new career in mental health which I adore.

Words of advice:

1. you will need to be recognised as an anaesthetic tech or endorsed enrolled nurse in Australia to work as an ODP.

2. You will not be allowed to scrub unless qualified as an RN.

3. Theatres are certainly not like preoperative practice in the UK.

4 Research your hospital thoroughly. Some have exceptionally poor standards of perioperative practice and will shock you. Most notably the private sector.

The big plus is that your husband is a surgeon. This will get you into notable loops. Anaesthetic techs and EEN have no positions of seniority in the hospitals you only get promoted to senior anaesthetic nurse if you are an RN.I worked in recovery for a while however only RNs can administer s8 medication and hold the s8 keys anaesthetic techs do not work in recovery only endorsed enrolled nurses.

ODPs is a term many have no idea what they are and cannot connect the term you are called an enrolled nurse (HCA equivalent). This should and will annoy you!

Good luck.

Leona

Archived