189 material engineer

anni272

Hi, Im super new to all this so I really need advice to make it all work. Anyways I have MS in material engineering and I have been technologist for 6 years and a buyer for 5 years overseas for fashion company (my job was also design, build the collection, select the supplier, test and evaluate materials and make specifications etc).

Will I be able to pull it off with that what you recon? any advice is welcome.:cute:

Getting Engineers Australia to give you the thumbs up on skill assessment should not be hard. However getting points for experience depends on your specific job tasks. I'm a chemical engineer and we share a group in ANZSCO with Material Engineers

Here's the list of tasks for our group..

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+2331+Chemical+and+Materials+Engineers

Read them carefully, compare them to the tasks you did in your job. If they match you can get points for experience, otherwise you get zero points. You don't have to do ALL of them, but several of them should match your job duties (I had 5)

thank you for your answer. the issue is that i did not work in a chemical plant but i worked in the office but we also tested the materials and deeloped the collection. Did you also check the MSA booklet? theres proffessional engineer general description of role and it states:

Application of systematic engineering synthesis and design processes.

a)Proficiently applies technical knowledge and open ended problem solving skills as well as appropriate

tools and resources to design components,elements,systems, plant, facilities and/or processes

to satisfy user requirements.

b)Addresses broad contextual constraints such as social, cultural, environmental, commercial, legal political and

human factors, as well as health,safety and sustainability imperatives as an integral part of the design process.

c)Executes and leads a whole systems design cycle approach including tasks such as:

−determining client requirements and identifying the impact of relevant contextual factors,including

business planning and costing targets;

-systematically addressing sustainability criteria;

−working within projected development, production and implementation constraints;

−eliciting, scoping and documenting the required

−outcomes of the design task and defining acceptance criteria;

−identifying assessing and managing technical, health and safety risks integral to the design process;

−writing engineering specifications, that fully satisfy the formal requirements;

−ensuring compliance with essential engineering standards and codes of practice;

−partitioning the design task into appropriate modular, functional elements; that can be separately addressed and subsequently integrated through

defined interfaces;

−identifying and analysing possible design approaches and justifying an optimal approach

−developing and completing the design using appropriate engineering principles, tools, and processes;

−integrating functional elements to form a coherent design solution;

−quantifying the materials, components, systems,equipment, facilities, engineering resources and operating arrangements needed for implementation

of the solution;

−checking the design solution for each element and the integrated system against the engineering specifications;

−devising and documenting tests that will verify performance of the elements and the integrated realisation;

−prototyping/implementing the design solution and verifying performance against specification;

−documenting, commissioning and reporting the design outcome.

d)Is aware of the accountabilities of the professional

engineer in relation to the ‘design authority’ role.

This is excactly what I did, any adivice is welcome is that enough?

Yes, you are an Professional Engineer however you still need an ANSZCO CODE to back it up (your engineering Discipline). Engineers Australia classifies an engineer as one of 4 categories:

PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER

ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST

ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE

ENGINEERING MANAGER

We all know that an Engineer can be a researcher (Technologist), a Manager and many other things. Everyone has a different path. Still it is not the same to be a Researcher in Oil and Gas, than one in Materials or one in eletronics. This is given by your Discipline (Chemical, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer Engineering).

So you are an Professional Engineer in the discipline of Material Engineering. So you still need to fulfill your ANSZCO code tasks.

What should you do:

- REVIEW THE ACCORDS, Sydney Accord, Washington Accord and Dublin Accord. I graduated in the United States so I applied through the Washington accord. It was completely painless as I only had to mail 5 simple things to get my skill assessment (passport, degree, resume, application form and grades).

- Your EXPERIENCE and your DEGREE are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. You can even choose to get an EXPERIENCE ASSESSMENT separate from your SKILLS ASSESSMENT. I did not pay for an experience assessment, as I believe my job duties were close enough to the tasks, DIBPS evaluated my experience by themselves and found it fitting to my anzsco code.

Either way you should be fine. I did a quick match up and I found the following:

YOUR JOB

my job was also design(1), build the collection, select the supplier (2), test(3/4) and evaluate (3/4)materials and make specifications (3) etc)

ANZSCO CODE TASKS

(1) preparin​g designs for chemical process systems and planning control systems for processes such as those used to remove and separate components, effect chemical changes, test and evaluate fuels, transfer heat, and control the storing and handling of solids, liquids and gases

(2) conferring with producers of materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, cements and elastomers, during the investigation and evaluation of materials suitable for specific product applications

(3) ensuring correct materials and equipment are used and that they conform to specifications

(4) Reviewing product failure data and implementing laboratory tests to establish or reject possible causes, and advising on ways to overcome any problems)

• 2 months later...

Picked my visa issue up again. I am still collecting the documents for the assessment and have million questions.

1. For skill assessment should i have general or academic IELTS test?

2. When do i have to pay for visa?

3. I have MSE in Technology of Materials, Textile and Garment Techniques and I have worked as engineering technologist should I select 233511 Industrial engineer, 233914 Engineering technologist (Industrial) or 233122 Materials Engineer

4. Does the education and occupation have to match? How this assessing process work?

5. How to write the job episodes?

I really hope somebody who has done it can help, thank you :)

Picked my visa issue up again. I am still collecting the documents for the assessment and have million questions.

1. For skill assessment should i have general or academic IELTS test?

2. When do i have to pay for visa?

3. I have MSE in Technology of Materials, Textile and Garment Techniques and I have worked as engineering technologist should I select 233511 Industrial engineer, 233914 Engineering technologist (Industrial) or 233122 Materials Engineer

4. Does the education and occupation have to match? How this assessing process work?

5. How to write the job episodes?

I really hope somebody who has done it can help, thank you :)

1) I did General IELTS. I don't know if the academic is accepted.

2) After you have your ielts and skill assessment you will fill your Expression of Interest. You will have to wait from a few hours to a few months (depends on many things, mostly your points). They will issue an Invitation to apply and when they issue that invitation you will have to pay the visa fees (first installment) so they can process your documentation (some visas/people need to pay a second installment).

3) I really have no clue. If you are really troubled and can't figure it out on your own you might want to hire an immigration agent.

4) Yes. There's a booklet that explains everything. Basically if they deem that your education and experience is comparable to the ANZSCO code requested by you, then they will approve it. After it has been approved you will use this same ANZSCO code to apply for your visa

5) Can't help you there

• 1 year later...
Yes, you are an Professional Engineer however you still need an ANSZCO CODE to back it up (your engineering Discipline). Engineers Australia classifies an engineer as one of 4 categories:

PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER

ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST

ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE

ENGINEERING MANAGER

We all know that an Engineer can be a researcher (Technologist), a Manager and many other things. Everyone has a different path. Still it is not the same to be a Researcher in Oil and Gas, than one in Materials or one in eletronics. This is given by your Discipline (Chemical, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer Engineering).

So you are an Professional Engineer in the discipline of Material Engineering. So you still need to fulfill your ANSZCO code tasks.

What should you do:

- REVIEW THE ACCORDS, Sydney Accord, Washington Accord and Dublin Accord. I graduated in the United States so I applied through the Washington accord. It was completely painless as I only had to mail 5 simple things to get my skill assessment (passport, degree, resume, application form and grades).

- Your EXPERIENCE and your DEGREE are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. You can even choose to get an EXPERIENCE ASSESSMENT separate from your SKILLS ASSESSMENT. I did not pay for an experience assessment, as I believe my job duties were close enough to the tasks, DIBPS evaluated my experience by themselves and found it fitting to my anzsco code.

Either way you should be fine. I did a quick match up and I found the following:

YOUR JOB

my job was also design(1), build the collection, select the supplier (2), test(3/4) and evaluate (3/4)materials and make specifications (3) etc)

ANZSCO CODE TASKS

(1) preparin​g designs for chemical process systems and planning control systems for processes such as those used to remove and separate components, effect chemical changes, test and evaluate fuels, transfer heat, and control the storing and handling of solids, liquids and gases

(2) conferring with producers of materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, cements and elastomers, during the investigation and evaluation of materials suitable for specific product applications

(3) ensuring correct materials and equipment are used and that they conform to specifications

(4) Reviewing product failure data and implementing laboratory tests to establish or reject possible causes, and advising on ways to overcome any problems)

Hi Seniors,

Sorry, I am not a material engineer, but a mech engineer. I'd like to ask one question because that making me so confusing. If any of you have applied under Washington Accord before, please enghliten me on details of the documents you have to submit to EA. I have read through EA 's MSA booklet and I know my degree is under Washington. However, ppl are telling me that I need to write a "Professional Engineer -summary table". Is that true? I was all the while thinking that I only need to submit the colour certified copies of passport bio-data page, resume, transcripts, degree cert. Is the summary table or any write up required?

Thanks in advance.

P.S : I even wrote to EA and ask about it. Awaiting for reply. If I have a reply from EA, I will update here.

Archived