Annual booster records

Mims

Hi guys,

i have done done a little research on this subject and haven't found an answer so here's hoping one of you might know.

We are planning to relocate to Australia with our mini dachshund who's all uptodate with annual boosters with a record proving as much, he's had his rabies and is all clear on that as well. We now however have had the offer of a second mini dachshund from a family member who has a lot of dogs and this one although placid isn't getting on with one of the others, she's exactly what we want as ours needs a friend but we don't think she's had annual boosters and I'm more than certain has no records of any injections.

A while back when I was looking into things for our dog I thought I read somewhere that they need to have a clear record of injections from birth to be accepted for travel and into australia, we are more than happy to do what's needed injections wise, microchip for this possible addition to our family and are of course prepared to take on what will be double the cost then to get them both to Oz, but we cant Magic a record of injections that I'm more than certain she hasn't had and if without it it means we can't take her then it's obviously best we don't have her.

Does anyone know whether dogs need to have a full record of injections from birth or is it ok as long as they have had the most recent ones and there is proof of such?

thanks in advance for any help.

miriam

You don't need to have a full record of injections from birth but all dogs must go through an approved pre-export process which can take 6 months or even longer for a dog with no record of injections. See the following (assuming you're from the UK or another category 3 country):

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs/step-by-step-guides/category-3-step-by-step-guide-for-dogs

The dogs need to have proof that they are fully vaccinated against Lepto - so if they are not then they can have 2 vaccines 2 weeks apart and they are good to go, so this is not a deal breaker.

Key thing is to get the rabies work started early, so that your dog is not left in UK waiting for the 180 days to elapse before they fly